Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Valve Covers =] 56k warning

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
PCV is not just for emissions. You have to ventilate your crankcase no matter what. The emissions part happened when they changed it from just venting into the atmostphere and had the idea to vent it back into the intake. But even still it's a vital system on your truck.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Relax guys, you dont need a PCV, back in the days they didnt have them, just 2 breathers, 1 on each valve cover. That motor has some build up on it. Alot of cars now dont even have 1. As long as you have a breather your fine.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Relax guys, you dont need a PCV, back in the days they didnt have them, just 2 breathers, 1 on each valve cover. That motor has some build up on it. Alot of cars now dont even have 1. As long as you have a breather your fine.
Right-- but that's only correctly if you have TWO breathers. Brian said he swapped the valve with a hose and then deleted the breather. Having only 1 hose accomplishes nothing.

And if you're truck already has a PCV valve in place then it makes no sense to delete it. The valve helps to regulate pressure between the intake manifold and the crank case, but also to prevent too much back flow of oil into the intake.

Right-- but that's only correctly if you have TWO breathers. Brian said he swapped the valve with a hose and then deleted the breather. Having only 1 hose accomplishes nothing.

And if you're truck already has a PCV valve in place then it makes no sense to delete it. The valve helps to regulate pressure between the intake manifold and the crank case, but also to prevent too much back flow of oil into the intake.

HUH? Both sides have a breather, one just has a gromit so you "could" put a pcv in it..

The other side is an oil cap, that breathes..

I got rid of TWO hoses, one from each side.

Not to mention, the PCV has been replaced ONCE in 210k

BUT.. ASIDE from the PCV debate, what about the Red rockers?

Last edited:
engine restore.. but thats blue...

mystery oil a few years ago, but that hasnt been run through it in 5 years..

nope, ill try when i pull it apart again... have to re gasket the covers.. and intake

That is normal to find oil like that. When it heats up and leaves deposits it common to see it red/brown... It turns brown from the acculmated dirt. If there wasnt any dirt or gunk in the oil it would be red.

The reason why one side is cleaner then the other is because of the oil fill cap is there which flushes the deposits from that side.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Nice covers, I got the same ones!

Ryan

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
The red is just tarnished from the oil.....I don't have smog on my truck does that mean it's gonna run like crap? No, it's been running like this for 36k miles and I get BETTER fuel milage. The PCV is to help prevent backfire from getting into your crankcase???? And HOW in the hell is the backfire gonna get back THAT far? Once your engine compresses there is no where for the air to go other than out the exhaust valve or through the rings.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
I can understand that as well as the heat caused internally but if you have a breather on it then what is the difference? Instead of releasing that hot air into your intake(via vacuum) you could be releasing it into the open atmosphere. I thought vehicles ran more efficiently with cooler air? Not hot nasty air.....hmmm CAI kits are a HUGE scam.

I can understand that as well as the heat caused internally but if you have a breather on it then what is the difference? Instead of releasing that hot air into your intake(via vacuum) you could be releasing it into the open atmosphere. I thought vehicles ran more efficiently with cooler air? Not hot nasty air.....hmmm CAI kits are a HUGE scam.

Flare Sides unite! LMAO

finally someone on my side

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok

cars all over the world run just fine without a pcv valve. california believe that it will cause negative effects, but the rest of the world knows its ********

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts