Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Tranny whine...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I got the Lincoln (08 MKZ) back today. The only thing I'm not entirely thrilled about and potentially concerned about is a newly acquired tranny whine. The car had the valve body replaced. The whine occurs between 2500-3500rpm and after letting off the gas on hard acceleration. That said, the more miles I put on, the less audible and consistent this whine became. The car actually shifts like a dream and rpm dropped 3-400rpm in in-town driving. Is this a problem, or a case of the car relearning itself????

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Maybe give it a day or two and see what happens.

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
I got the Lincoln (08 MKZ) back today. The only thing I'm not entirely thrilled about and potentially concerned about is a newly acquired tranny whine. The car had the valve body replaced. The whine occurs between 2500-3500rpm and after letting off the gas on hard acceleration. That said, the more miles I put on, the less audible and consistent this whine became. The car actually shifts like a dream and rpm dropped 3-400rpm in in-town driving. Is this a problem, or a case of the car relearning itself????

Have you tried to put your tranny in timeout? That should help get rid of the whining. :)

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Not a happy camper, the whine seems to be getting worse. I don't see any consistency in temp or rpm...but it's in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Sometimes as low as off idle through 3500rpm.

Also at idle and in gear, there's a pretty audible rattle from inside the car that seems to be consistent with the A/C cycling.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
That's probably a bad sign benny... if it's getting worse I'd have 'em look at it again i guess.

Yeah...gonna bring it back tomorrow or Wednesday. The whine seems to have no rhyme or reason. Then today, I noticed sometimes the SOB quick shifts and other times it hunts for the right gear...not entirely noticeable, but it's there. And the rattle, I timed it today, every 14 seconds, it shows up and lasts 3-5 seconds...dunno where it's coming from though.

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
Yeah...gonna bring it back tomorrow or Wednesday. The whine seems to have no rhyme or reason. Then today, I noticed sometimes the SOB quick shifts and other times it hunts for the right gear...not entirely noticeable, but it's there. And the rattle, I timed it today, every 14 seconds, it shows up and lasts 3-5 seconds...dunno where it's coming from though.

I reckon the timeout didn't work? smilietease

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I reckon the timeout didn't work? smilietease

Naw it didn't...so she's going to a higher authority. Hopefully they'll take care of the whine, annoying rattle and shift slipping.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
The hot rod lincoln is dropped off again...this time got a '10 Fusion with 4 banger.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Dealership semi ticked me off yesterday...said they couldn't hear or track down anything I requested to be checked out, and that some things are just normal. The tranny whine that's there, you'd literally have to be deaf not to hear (albeit intermittent, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, not being able to replicate). The cyclical rattle, while subtle...it can be heard, especially along a wall, but I'm just being anal about that, if it can be fixed great, if not no biggie, but it wasn't there before. Throttle response is supposedly normal, but depressing the go pedal 2" before any acceleration doesn't seem normal to me. So after I was told they couldn't find anything, I was given a cost break down of everything they did last week (why that was pertinent I dunno), so just give it some time, and if it gets worse I have 50k bumper to bumper and 125k drivetrain warranty, and bring it in later (I brought it in now, fix it now). While irked, I told them I'd be there Saturday and see if I couldn't take someone for a drive and show them exactly what I'm talking about. They can discount the substance of the claims, but fact of the matter is, it wasn't like that when I bought the car, and the problems I'm having now weren't even there when I brought the car in the first time last week.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
That's definitely not the way the gas pedal is suppose to work. Are they suggesting that the brake pedal travels 2" before it starts to work too ?

Good point...their justification is that it's electronically controlled and out of their hands.

Fellro

Staff member
The electronic units actually should be more responsive, not less. They need to hook up the scanner and monitor it... That is how I check out the TPS, watch the response that the ECM sees.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Roger...I'm basically taking it as a 'we're sick of seeing this car, we already sunk alot of money in to it, so until it no longer moves GTFO'.

Fellro

Staff member
While warranty doesn't pay as well as customer, it still gets paid generally. Besides, that is part of customer service...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Agreed...and I think I'm just cranky, so after the test drive with a service rep, we'll see what happens.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Went and picked up the Lincoln today. Again was told that everything was normal and there were no noises. I asked how aggressively the car was driven, they said 'We put 2 miles on it in the back lot'. So I requested an appointment with their tranny expert...schedules didn't mesh until Jan 7. So I pull out of town, with the whine still there, Bailee tries to adjust her seat, and there's a growl with no seat movement.:headbang:

Ford Truck Articles