Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Tire Choices

All of these tires are within a few dollars at the retailer with the lowest mounting prices which oddly happens to be the place that we get almost all of our tires done at. The 12.5"s all say that the minimum rim width is 8.5" but I doubt a half inch will make that much difference. Saying that I tend to lean to the 10.5" tires because there is some question of radius arm rubbing too with the 12.5"s.

Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 33"x12.5"
1236175341841_WranglerDuraTrac-3-4-View.jpg

http://www.goodyeartires.com/tire/wrangler-duratrac/

BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO 33"x12.5"
all-terrain-t-a-ko.jpg

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-selector/name/all-terrain-t-a-ko-tires

BF Goodrich Mud Terrain T/A KA2 33"x10.5"
mud-terrain-t-a-km2.jpg

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-selector/name/mud-terrain-t-a-km2-tires

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
any other choices? I really don't have an opinion on any of those, the bfgoodrich seem to be very popular.

The guy at the tire shop I go to says goodyear advertises the quality of their tires right on the side of the tire, "good for a year".

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I've had the BFG A/T's on several vehicles over the years, they have been great. Long lasting, good handling quiet. Work well in construction sites and reasonable in mud if you air them down..if 100% off road is your thoughts then there are much better choices. I know a few guys here that run the mud terrains full time, they do seem to wear very well and work good off road.

Based on style and the fact that they are 10.5s so I wont get any side wall bulge or weird wear patterns I'm really leaning on the side of the BFG MTs.

BFG would be my choice

After talking to the guy at the tire store it sounds like I'm going to go with the All Terrains, and they can be installed Monday evening.

I think I will get the one good rear tire I have mounted as a spare and then try to sell the two front tires that have only 3,000 miles on them to recoup a bit of the cost. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
Glad it worked out for you. Tires cost a lot of money and you do not want to end up with a tire your not happy with. Seems once there bought, you'll never get the same price back. (found out the hard way, still have a set after 3 years)Tire choice also shows your personality, I think.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
After talking to the guy at the tire store it sounds like I'm going to go with the All Terrains, and they can be installed Monday evening.

I think I will get the one good rear tire I have mounted as a spare and then try to sell the two front tires that have only 3,000 miles on them to recoup a bit of the cost. Thoughts?

good idea. thats a pretty good plan.. if i had my truck already i'd probably buy the tires from ya... but aint got it yet...

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
They aren't to great of a tire, and they flat suck if the pavement gets wet.

Dont expect to much of an improvement over your current tires off-road...

In gravel and dirt there decent.

If its just for looks go with the A/T's they wear pretty good.
I sold my A/T's with about 50% tread i had em for about 2 years, with only about 8 months of driving...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I know I'm late, but the current rims on the Bronco are an 8" rim, and I'm running a 12.5" wide BFG M/T. As for the tire choices, the GY's always seem to be popular with the Jeep crowd and those in particular seem to be popular with the guys that like playing in the slick topsoil. The AT's...I'll say they're a good street tire and the added siping and tight tread are supposed to do better in the snow. I've never noticed them to get any better mpg's or any better treadwear than the BFG KM1's. However, they are no MT, that's for sure...I wouldn't plan on much more playing that slick top soil. The KM2's, I haven't had much experience with, I hear they're a slightly softer compound, which means worse wear than the KM1's...and they seem to be heading toward more of a rock/sand tire than a mud tire. That said, I go by the mantra that a MT can do everything an A/T can, but not the other way around.

I know I'm late, but the current rims on the Bronco are an 8" rim, and I'm running a 12.5" wide BFG M/T. As for the tire choices, the GY's always seem to be popular with the Jeep crowd and those in particular seem to be popular with the guys that like playing in the slick topsoil. The AT's...I'll say they're a good street tire and the added siping and tight tread are supposed to do better in the snow. I've never noticed them to get any better mpg's or any better treadwear than the BFG KM1's. However, they are no MT, that's for sure...I wouldn't plan on much more playing that slick top soil. The KM2's, I haven't had much experience with, I hear they're a slightly softer compound, which means worse wear than the KM1's...and they seem to be heading toward more of a rock/sand tire than a mud tire. That said, I go by the mantra that a MT can do everything an A/T can, but not the other way around.
I decided on the A/T already. I went to NTB to get them installed and apparently some new guy at another store messed the transfer up but they are going to have them at my store by tomorrow.

Ford Truck Articles