Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

There goes another E40D trans ...

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Didnt even get to push snow with it .

Ford reman HD Trans was installed by a Ford mechanic spring 2010. Has less then 16500 miles on it on . Was never stress or hauled with . Moved truck to hook to plow snow (didn't have enough to plow last year )saw red dots in snow .by time I got out of truck it started pucking fluid out the pump . Exact reason it was replaced before .

I have no luck over the years with E40d . I didnt plow or tow with the F150's as I have 3/4 Manual trans to do that.
Starting in 97 I had a trans go in a 94 F150 a local rebuild E40d replaced it and less then 20000 miles (open road ) it was trashed . And had been back in shop due to shift problems whole time. Ended up in court to get money back to get fixed guy .
So in went Ford rebuild I got 65000 out of it with regular service . And Aftermarket cooler . It blew the pump . Parked it
Truck #2 Purchased with bad trans .I put in a Ford new trans And it had shift issues atless than 100000 by time I sold truck.
My good truck is parked due to slippage and it has 50000 miles on the trans in it .
There been many more .

To put it shortly 60000-80000 is the norm of the e40d over the years in any of our 25 company trucks at work.

Time to pull out the ZF out or get a newer truck . Rust is setting in.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
That is beyond bad luck, that is horrible luck!

Not trying to rub it in, but I had almost 200K on mine in my 95 F150 with no problems.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
theres no way... wrong fluids or something..

guy who built my engine had a stock E4od behind 400 rwhp for about 2 years no problem.. then somewhat built behind 600rwhp for nearly 10 years..

now it's fully built going behind 1400 hp..

never has an issue.. there are THOUSANDS of Lightnings running around with mostly stock E4od's with no issues pushing 300+ RWHP

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Lost must be the altitude or something here. Most of the guys I know that had the E4OD have went south about 60K also.
I think it is all the hills that kill them off they shift constantly around here.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
if they dont have a trans cooler on them and theyre shifting constantly then yeah theyres a chance they'll burn up..

all they are is an update C6 with some electronics and an overdrive..

and c6's are damn near bulletproof..

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I've been through 2 E4OD's in My 90 f 250 in 43,000 miles. First one at 2,500 miles, 2nd at 33,000 miles. It's starting to do it's "not going thing" when you first start out again, so I guess it will be in the shop soon.

The Trans shop said it's my fault because I barely ever drive the truck.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
i just dont see how yall are having issues..

old Flareside the original E4od trans had lasted till 220k miles.. current e4od in it is still going with 120k on it now with it's current owner of the truck..

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I was told the 90 was in trouble from the begining. All the upgrades were in By 95, that is the trans to look for. I don't know what is going on this time, except what the trans man said about not using the truck enough

My 94 with the FR70W, on the other hand just keeps going like the Energizer Bunny

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
I was told the 90 was in trouble from the begining. All the upgrades were in By 95, that is the trans to look for. I don't know what is going on this time, except what the trans man said about not using the truck enough

My 94 with the FR70W, on the other hand just keeps going like the Energizer Bunny

and this is the opposite of lots of times what happens to people..

4R70W is an updated and electronic version of the AOD (the garbage trans unless rebuilt/upgraded)

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I have an AOD in my 56 pick up, never had a peep of trouble out of it. I used that because it needs no computer to shift, and running a 4.10 rear, I need the O/D to travel on the interstate

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
yeah lots of people dont have trouble out of an AOD..

but in stock form they dont last if you beat on them too much..

when i got my Flareside the stock AOD had no 3rd or 4th gear anymore at 159k miles.. like when i say no gears.. i mean destroyed..

now it's BUILT and it's holding up great behind my new 5.0 thats pushing a good bit of HP & TQ through it......

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
theres no way... wrong fluids or something..

guy who built my engine had a stock E4od behind 400 rwhp for about 2 years no problem.. then somewhat built behind 600rwhp for nearly 10 years..

now it's fully built going behind 1400 hp..

never has an issue.. there are THOUSANDS of Lightnings running around with mostly stock E4od's with no issues pushing 300+ RWHP

Come up North Chris....Many here go out as explanied above...especially in 4wd trucks..80 to 100k is about the norm here...Climates do come into play here mostly the extreme cold this will shrink seals and drag out shift points,along with driving conditions..getting stuck,excessive wheel spining,changing gears while rocking the vehicle ect ect..another thing is just plain lack of preventative maintanance or abuse by the common driver..they change their oil every 3k but forget the transmission till there is an issue with it..seen it happen to often my friend.Most car peeps do know better Chris..im speaking of the ones who dont.There are many who are just clueless out there in the real world.

Last edited:

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
Sure there are exceptions Chris..im not saying their all bad...there is a big difference from those who buy new or QUALITY USED vehicles and take care of their equipiment..than the Truck that looks pretty sitting on the lot that has been well used up and not maintained...there are MANY like that..We had a fleet of plow trucks diring my carrear in the school system Not one of them has experienced transmission failure..Why? because the Boss made sure the vehicles were treated with respect along with maintance and held the employees responsible for their actions..Sometimes there is just a bad batch that comes down the line,parts may work short term but be flawed...unfortunatly Lost is experiencing some bad luck with these units...

Last edited:

blacksnapon

Staff member
After the first one, flush lines and cooler very carefully. Then, install an in-line filter in the cooler lines.

I have a '75 F150 360FE +T18 I bought brand new that's never broke down
and left me stranded anywhere, ever! That's the sort of setup you can rely
on even if it was 4wd.

Next thing you'll be complaining your electric can opener left you hungry. ;)
4192NTKF60L._SY450_.jpg

Bought one like that in the summer of '72... it got-used last night. ;)

x2 on the ZF or something like it. :)

Alvin in AZ

Last edited:

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Thanks for listening to rant . And reply's

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Only complaint about my zf was that it felt mis matched between the engine and the 4.10's.... Truck always felt kinda slow...
Especially compared to an identical truck with an e40d...

But other than that, i cold pull a house.

Oh yea, the internal slave is a ****** but i would run another zf if i had the opportunity and the need...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts