Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

The long journey continues

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I just checked out your pics.....real nice!!! Man. Hey, I'm surprised you didn't want to paint the real axle housing cover black or something....it's that orange brown rusty color now.

I just checked out your pics.....real nice!!! Man. Hey, I'm surprised you didn't want to paint the real axle housing cover black or something....it's that orange brown rusty color now.

The reason I didn't paint it black is because that's how it came from the factory. Its painted two coats of gray primer followed by two coats of red oxide then a single coat of satin clear.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
The reason I didn't paint it black is because that's how it came from the factory. Its painted two coats of gray primer followed by two coats of red oxide then a single coat of satin clear.

So you just want to keep it as much factory as possible? I understand. From a distance, almost looks like rust.

Can't wait to see the rest of your progress.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Nice project!

So you just want to keep it as much factory as possible? I understand. From a distance, almost looks like rust.
Can't wait to see the rest of your progress.

I like the factory look, always have. While my project isn't going to be a 100% restoration I want to keep it very close to the factory "look".
I like the little details like the correct fasteners and brackets being used. These are small things that most people won't ever see, but I will.
When I'm finished I want to own a "new" '73 F100.
On the power train I bounced back and forth FE vs. 460. It originally had a 360 that never really had a lot of power, but it was as dependable as the day is long. I decided to bump the 360 up to 390 specs when I rebuild it, I already have the crank and rods. I'm going to do a mild build up, nothing radical, just a little more power. I'm keeping the C6, just a good rebuild.
I'll keep you guys updated on my progress.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I think the bump from 360 to 390, and retaining the factory look instead of going 460 will make you extremely happy.

Wow, I can't believe it's been a year since I've posted any updates here on the Pumpkin Project.:hammer:
The chassis is done, that was Phase 1, the powertrain, with the exception of a few details (like installing the engine and transmission) is done, that's Phase 2.
That's pretty much it. I bumped the engine up to a 390 when I rebuilt it. The block I used cleaned up with a +.030" bore, new cam bearings, the deck and mains were fine so no surfacing or line boring was needed.
The heads are where the majority of the machine work went. I had hardened steel exhaust seats installed, all guides replaced, surfaced on both the deck and exhaust side of the head. I installed stainless exhaust valves and +.030" oversize head intake valves along with new springs, seals, retainers, and locks.
I'm using an Edelbrock 2105 intake along with a 780cfm Holley (I know, too much carb) and a mild Competition Cams cam and lifters.
The one thing that puzzles most people is I'm going to use stock exhaust manifolds along with true dual exhausts.
I'm building this truck the way I would have liked to been able to order it in '73. When people look under the hood I want them to think they are looking at a very well detailed stock engine, you can't do that with headers.
I also ordered a C-6 from Broader Performance in Weatherford, TX. It's their 500HP model with the wide ratio gearset.
Here are a few pics of the engine. I'll post more in my gallery in a few days. Right now I have to get ready to go out to California on business.
I promise I won't be so slow in adding updates in the future:headbang:

engine_misc_II_016.JPG

engine_misc_II_013.JPG

engine_misc_II_014.JPG

engine_misc_II_005.JPG

Thanks for the compliments guys, I really appreciate all the kind words and encouragement that I get from all of you.
I would like to be a lot further along than I am but the next phase is the one that I've been dreading, paint and bodywork.
I've painted quite a few vehicles in the past and have been flip-flopping on whether I do the work or farm it out.
As much as I would like to do it myself, I KNOW that I don't have the skill or experience to do the level of quality I want. Paint and bodywork are what defines a restoration. You mess that up and no one will be able to see past the crappy body or paint. So even though I have the equipment and have access to a spray booth, I've decided to let the professionals handle this.
Now the part I'm dreading, finding a shop that I feel comfortable with, someone that does top notch work as routine rather than the exception.
This will probably be the hardest part of my whole project.

I suggest you go to car shows and ask the owners of great looking cars where they got them painted.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts