Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

The long journey continues

I've just now become an active member and would like to introduce all of you to my "baby". Some of you are familiar with my project already so for those who aren't here's a quick version. I'll post a more complete history later.
I bought the truck in 1985 and drove it for 11 years before retiring it. It has 435,000 miles on it and it was on its second engine, the first was swapped out at 300,000 miles. It sat for thirteen years gradually deteriorating as time went by. I have been collecting parts for it for years buying them from Ford before they were discontinued.
I decided to start the rebuild now instead of waiting till I retire.
Here are some pics to show how its going.

Attachments

• pumpkinstart 001.JPG
  • pumpkinstart 006.JPG
  • pumpkinstart 019.JPG
Last edited:

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
You know, I don't think I've ever seen your project. Looks like a good one though. Are your plans to restore everything to original? Also, I've never seen rust on the door post like that before. Can't wait to see the progress.

Hey Buck,
Yeah, I'm sure you've seen me before in another life, so to speak. That was just a small part of the rust issues. I decided to swap cab and bed with another.
Tried to post some current pictures but my quota was exceeded. I'll post some as soon as I figure the site out.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I see that your old bed had that aftermarket fuel tank on the passenger side. Does the other side have it also? It seems odd to have that white stripe on the bottom and no trim in the dent. Pretty cool though. I think a metallic color about the same with that white stripe would look awesome.

I see that your old bed had that aftermarket fuel tank on the passenger side. Does the other side have it also? It seems odd to have that white stripe on the bottom and no trim in the dent. Pretty cool though. I think a metallic color about the same with that white stripe would look awesome.

Yeah, it had another tank on the other side, a total of three, the original aft axle tank plus the two aftermarket tanks.
This Explorer was also a "Custom" base trim model so no chrome.
My donor truck ('75 F100 Explorer) was two tone from the factory so I'm planning on keeping it like that. I plan on a dark metallic blue with a white roof and I paint the white '73 Explorer stripes back on and have them underneath the clearcoat.
As soon as I figure out a few things on this site I'll post some current pics.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Looks like a big project. Good luck...looking forward to progress and pics.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Wow, that thing looks brand spankin new. Did you get a good deal on that red head steering gear?

I'm kinda wondering if one of those aftermarket tanks would fit somehow in my truck. I have a dual tank bed, but only a custom aft axle tank. I'd like to have an extra tank for my 2nd fuel door.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Cool pics, thanks for posting them!

Wow, that thing looks brand spankin new. Did you get a good deal on that red head steering gear?

I'm kinda wondering if one of those aftermarket tanks would fit somehow in my truck. I have a dual tank bed, but only a custom aft axle tank. I'd like to have an extra tank for my 2nd fuel door.

Thanks. As soon as I figure out the pic posting here I'll post some more.
The Red head gear cost me $225.00 plus UPS charges.
These tanks were mounted between the bedside and the frame. They literally hung from two long thru bolts that went through the bed floor and the tanks.
I took both tanks off about 20 years ago because I didn't like the location, I had seen stories about the Chevy fual tanks and broadside accidents.

Last edited:

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Hopefully, here's a current pic

Wow, this thing does look like it's brand new. Is that an original frame redone?

Also, I don't see any type of lift yet....are you thinking about a lift at all?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Looks like a helluva good start to a great project.

Wow, this thing does look like it's brand new. Is that an original frame redone?
Also, I don't see any type of lift yet....are you thinking about a lift at all?

Thanks for the compliments. I started a build thread "someplace else" and ever since, I've become a real compliment w***e.
I'm still learning my way around this site so bear with me. Once I get it figured I'll post more pictures.
Yes, thats the original '73 frame. I sandblasted it in my driveway (1600 lbs of sand) then sprayed two coats of primer, then two coats of semi-gloss black.
Everything is new. The rear is completely rebuilt including ring and pinion, differential gears seal, bearings, axles, brakes etc. same for the front suspension. All of the hard lines are stainless steel from Inline Tube. And, as Buck noted, the steering was rebuilt by Red Head steering in Washington.
No, I'm not going to put any lift on it. Its 2WD and I like the factory stance.
I'm going to keep it close to the factory look, I just like the way they look.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Welcome from the dark side. I would really like to hear how the redhead steering rebuild feels a year from now.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts