Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

strange noise from the engine

When I am driving down the road i start to hear what sounds like a rubbing noise coming from the engine bay. I got out and popped the hood and nothing that i can tell is rubbing but my fan is turning super slow. I just replaced the water pump over this weekend so I know that is not the issue. Is it the fan clutch or am i missing something? 5.0L 302 1994 F!50 2wd.

Fellro

Staff member
Hard to tell with that description. You will need to clarify just what kind of rubbing it sounds like, as there is plenty of different rubs...

Is it a squeaking noise or more of a scraping noise ..... double check the nuts securing the fan to the water pump (is the fan and pulley wobbling while running ?) as this can make a dull rubbing sound and check inside the radiator shroud for any loose tools that you might be missing (btdt:) )

I am not missing any tools, and it is more of a squealing noise than anything. All of my pulleys are good and I just replaced the idler pulley this afternoon because it had quite a bit of play back and forth, but it did not help out the noise any. I can stand to the side of my truck and the fan does wooble back and forth a little. I did check all the bolts connecting the fan and clutch to the water pump and the fan blades to the clutch and they are all tight. I know it was kind of stupid for me to try this but I did it anyway. I can use my finger to stop the fan because it turns that slow and I can run the throttle and the fan never moves faster or slower. The truck does not over heat. I'm just concerned about the squealing nosie it is making and why the fan woobles back and forth.

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
I would replace the clutch in the fan..from your description it has worn badly,maybe the noise is coming from there...

I am not missing any tools, and it is more of a squealing noise than anything. All of my pulleys are good and I just replaced the idler pulley this afternoon because it had quite a bit of play back and forth, but it did not help out the noise any. I can stand to the side of my truck and the fan does wooble back and forth a little. I did check all the bolts connecting the fan and clutch to the water pump and the fan blades to the clutch and they are all tight. I know it was kind of stupid for me to try this but I did it anyway. I can use my finger to stop the fan because it turns that slow and I can run the throttle and the fan never moves faster or slower. The truck does not over heat. I'm just concerned about the squealing nosie it is making and why the fan woobles back and forth.

If the fan is wobbling then remove the serpentine belt , grab the fan and see if you can move it backwards and forwards (in line with the engine) ..... it sounds to me like you have not got the drive pulley and fan mounted quite properly over the snout of the water pump.

The fan clutch won't engage/lock up until the air passing through the radiator becomes hot enough to allow the thermal spring (that funny spiral spring in the centre of the fan clutch) to do its job by opening a valve in the fan clutch and engaging the drive.

Before spending the money on any parts, I would take the belt off and start the engine and see if the sound is still there. You could even pull the fan and clutch assembly off like an Efan setup and see if the sound is still there. With the belt off you can spin the pulleys and feel if something doesn't feel right.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Water pumps, fan clutches should be replaced in pairs, since one worn unit will cause premature wear on the other.

Ford Truck Articles