Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

So I see this truck in New Hampshire...

FTF'er

I see this truck in New Hampshire, right, it's rockin some 39.5 Boggers, looks cool?

IMAG0205.jpg

So I go to get a better look... and what's this? Can anyone ID this lift?

IMAG0206.jpg

And of course, how silly would it be to have a mechanical link in the steering when you can have a fancy full hydro set up like this? The tie rod mounts on top of the steering knuckle, the rams mount on the bottom of the knuckle... with what looked like some all thread holding it all together.

IMAG0207.jpg

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Cool pics! That is one massive bumper. Looks like a cancer! He must do some heavy duty off roading.

FTF'er
The bumper is very heavy duty, I'll give him props there. I'm not entirely convinced his ghetto lift and steering is street safe, though.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Looks like he's towing that tractor trailer and what's with the flags? Maybe there's a show or monster truck fest around. I'm still trying to find a way to mount a flag or two on my rig for car shows and parades with my current set up and am not sure how yet.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Dude...I want that steering set up. I'm not entirely sure what he would do with that thing. That lift would only warrant potential straight line mud use. But I don't see his steering plumb job lasting very through a mud pit. I'd have to render that truck a useless heap...but I do like that bumper.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I'm still trying to find a way to mount a flag or two on my rig for car shows and parades with my current set up and am not sure how yet.

Ken...not sure if you've seen my set up with PVC pipe:

DSC01234.JPG

DSC01003.JPG

DSC01005.JPG

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Dude...I want that steering set up. I'm not entirely sure what he would do with that thing. That lift would only warrant potential straight line mud use. But I don't see his steering plumb job lasting very through a mud pit. I'd have to render that truck a useless heap...but I do like that bumper.

You wouldn't put that huge bumper on Red would you? What the heck would you do with it? :suspicious:

That thing looks ugly as heck but probably has some good utility if you're going climbing or mudding with it. You'd put it on the Bronco, eh?

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Ken...not sure if you've seen my set up with PVC pipe:

DSC01234.JPG

DSC01003.JPG

DSC01005.JPG

Man, I never get tired of looking at your truck.....just sweet! I have seen it before and I have a vinyl tonneau cover on mine and may upgrade next year to a fiberglass one with vinyl on it, so can't (or won't) punch holes in it for the brackets in the bed.

Any other ideas?

I've thought about mounting something on my step rails, temporarily of course.

I've also thought of the receiver hitch pole mounts, but then wouldn't pull a float in a parade and I don't know if that would look good at a car show, kinda look like a tail or something.

Any thoughts?

Did I hijack this thread? smiliehijacked
smilietease

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
You wouldn't put that huge bumper on Red would you? What the heck would you do with it? :suspicious:

That thing looks ugly as heck but probably has some good utility if you're going climbing or mudding with it. You'd put it on the Bronco, eh?

Hell no...Red is all OEM/NOS, with some Dennis Carpenter sprinkled in. But I have been known to have a few dentsides around at any given time.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Man, I never get tired of looking at your truck.....just sweet! I have seen it before and I have a vinyl tonneau cover on mine and may upgrade next year to a fiberglass one with vinyl on it, so can't (or won't) punch holes in it for the brackets in the bed.

Any other ideas?

I've thought about mounting something on my step rails, temporarily of course.

I've also thought of the receiver hitch pole mounts, but then wouldn't pull a float in a parade and I don't know if that would look good at a car show, kinda look like a tail or something.

Any thoughts?

Did I hijack this thread? smiliehijacked
smilietease

Yeah...you hijacked...but that's life on FTF. Anyway, I forgot you had a cover. I know over on FSB, I saw something that was a hitch receptical that you could put a flag in...but I don't have a clue if I could find it again. I was also thinking potentially some threaded rod through the bumper hitch area. Put a washer and nut on the bottom side and one on the top side...but I haven't figured out how to attach the flag then...or if the rod would smash up a tailgate.

FTF'er
Check out where his box iron lift kit bolts to the frame, it's got the frame bent. each side is held on with only a couple bolts. He could have at least welded it or something, and built some more bracketry for the rear of the oem mount. And the full hydro steering is just stupid for street use... I guess he hasn't thought about what would happen when one of those lines burst?

This truck sits at a truck stop, I see it every few weeks and it's changing, so that means he drives it home every so often to work on it.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Hell no...Red is all OEM/NOS, with some Dennis Carpenter sprinkled in. But I have been known to have a few dentsides around at any given time.

Hey, didn't your rig have the top painted to match the white two tone paint or was that just another option?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
This truck sits at a truck stop, I see it every few weeks and it's changing, so that means he drives it home every so often to work on it.

They are among us...making the roadways scarier and scarier to drive on.

Hey, didn't your rig have the top painted to match the white two tone paint or was that just another option?

Nope, that was another paint scheme...mighta been the tu-tone custom deluxe scheme. Personally, I'm not a fan of the white tops.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I didn't think it was legal to have hydraulic steering like that for an on road vehicle?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^It's not. But I dunno many officers that would know the difference, much less catch it unless the vehicle was still.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
^^^It's not. But I dunno many officers that would know the difference, much less catch it unless the vehicle was still.

This is a good point. smiliewhathesaid

FTF'er
I didn't think it was legal to have hydraulic steering like that for an on road vehicle?

I'm guessing New Hampshire doesn't have an inspection requirement for that truck... or he brings a case of beer when he does go. I haven't read laws for each state, but it would sure seem like hydro steering would be illegal everywhere, or at least common sense would tend to indicate so.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I'm guessing New Hampshire doesn't have an inspection requirement for that truck... or he brings a case of beer when he does go. I haven't read laws for each state, but it would sure seem like hydro steering would be illegal everywhere, or at least common sense would tend to indicate so.

I think NH is similar to Maine in which a vehicle registered as a "custom" would need to have only certain things in working order like brakes, windows, etc. in order to pass inspection. Registering it as an antique though would exempt inspection altogether, however, the question of the year would be what would they allow as an antique before moving it over into the "custom" class.

Someone from NH could help clarify, but we've had to deal with that this past year and it's a pain in Maine and is so subjective. My rig, although with a lift and some nice options under the hood and throughout her body, still has the original block, transfer cases, transmission housing, and all the panels. They let me register it antique, thus not ever having to deal with inspection.

This rig however, I would think might have to go through an inspection.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I could be wrong, but I believe I see a little inspection sticker by the rear view mirror mount on the windshield.
:wasntme:

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
At least he isn't using wood blocks for a lift. I'd be scared to drive that thing. Hydraulic steering would the S$%T. I wouldn't worry too much about it being illegal because the average trooper probably wouldn't notice unless he's a truck guy or if you were stopped by a D.O.T. I'd be worried more about a pump failure and then loose all control while driving down the highway. I don't know if there is any fail safe or anything like that. My brother has a hydro setup on this mud truck and it doesn't have a fail safe.

Ford Truck Articles