Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Slightly Modified Engine Build (Take 7)!

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Oh i have todd beat now! LOL

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Ok guys the stock gap is .018 upper and lower. recommended for boosted is .022 on the upper and .024 on the lower. what do you suggest for a file to remove .004 and .006 off the rings?

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Update....

Ok so I just ordered my new Manley Rods today, getting the rotating assembly together so I can get it balanced. Also gonna take my block up to the machinist and see if he thinks we need to line hone the mains. I am going to discuss with him my ring gaps, as of right now they are set at .020 which should be good for the top and I should just have to open the second oil ring up a little. I am ordering Main studs and head studs tomorrow and am also looking into an ACCEL thruster computer system for it. That way I know the computer is good for up to 41lbs of boost. I should get anywhere from 18-20 psi outta mine. and that should put me at around 700 at the rear wheels.

There is ALOT more to these motors than orgianlly anticipated. LOL I found an awesome book to help with the rebuild. So I should be able to rock it out once I get the machine work done for it. I am also having the machine shop do a 3 angle valve job while they have the stuff...

smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo

Ok guys the stock gap is .018 upper and lower. recommended for boosted is .022 on the upper and .024 on the lower. what do you suggest for a file to remove .004 and .006 off the rings?

Use a piston ring file...

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Doc, Aaron is correct, they make files just for that. The machine shop your taking your block to would likely have one. Since your having everything else done there. Might be a good idea to have them do piston rings. Probably give you a bit of a discount.

About your heads, is it just the 3angle job or are you having them ported to match up with the beast of a blower your runnin?

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
The heads have already been ported and polished, but the new valves should just need to be ground a little, so they seat good. and I may have to talk to them about the rings...

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
are the heads port matched to the intake?
Is the intake port matched to the blower?
Just a few things that can help you get just that much more power outta your truck....

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Ryan is correct, i dont think he read the fine print though. The truck has to come to me for 100k miles of testing and proper break in before admin will recieve said truck.
If anything falters doc will get the truck back... :)

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
This cannot be a good thing....

LOL Found some oil in the valley! and the spark plugs on the pass side have seen better days....

Photo0008.jpg

Photo0009.jpg

Drivers side.... in order from L-R 8,7,6,5
Photo0010.jpg

Passenger side in order from L-R 4,3,2,1!
Photo0011.jpg

I think #4 and #2 aren't supposed to look like that.....
Photo0012.jpg

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
LOL yep I am just now getting around to pulling the old motor....

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
HAHA Ryan has the pics my phone won't link to my computer right now.... I broke a whole corner out of the #2 piston, and the #4 cylinder intake valve has a hole in it! GO big or GO home! LOL I can see the upper and middle rings on the piston clear as day! LOL

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Finally got the puter to reconize my phone!
Uploading pics now!

Ford Truck Articles