Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Seat belts

73FordF100

Georgia Chapter member
Georgia
Very soon I need to invest in some seat belts for my truck to make it legal lol. One of the PO's installed bucket seats and took out the original bench seat (obviously) and the lap belts it came factory with. I've seen the 3-point belts that later trucks like mine came standard with and I want to use those to give it a factory look. I was looking on eBay Motors and there were very few for sale and they were very costly. Where can I find some cheap and how hard would they be to install in my truck? Thanks.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hmmmm...I'm coming up with bummkiss on retractable shoulder belts. Might be a junk yard part you'll have to get, or maybe one of these guys with spare parts trucks could help you out. As far as difficulty, as long as you get proper mounting points...should be pretty easy.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I'd stay away from Ebay if you're looking for cheap...

Check out Craigslist and start asking guys that are parting out or selling their junkers for cheap if you can take the belts.

Installation should be a breeze.

Auto wreckers by law are NOT really allowed to sell seat belts.

Once a vehicle has been in a collison the seat belts are considered unsafe.

I have a set of lap belts here

If it is a 73, shoulder belts were NOT factory. Not until 74 or 75.

73FordF100

Georgia Chapter member
Georgia
Ok thanks for the advice guys, i've looked and they are hard to find!

Auto wreckers by law are NOT really allowed to sell seat belts.

Once a vehicle has been in a collison the seat belts are considered unsafe.

I have a set of lap belts here

If it is a 73, shoulder belts were NOT factory. Not until 74 or 75.

Yes I knew they weren't factory but the PO installed bucket seats and they took out the original lap belts, so I need some seat belts. That's why I want to use the original shoulder belts that came out of the later trucks to give it a stock look somewhat.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I would try a junkyard. I saw a few with retractable seat belts when I was in Oklahoma. I think they were mostly 78 and 79 models.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
OOOOORRRRRRR..... We could trade seats. :D

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I have two bucket seats out of a dodge ramcharger you can put in there Austin.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
OOOOORRRRRRR..... We could trade seats. :D

I'm telling you right now...you'll miss that bench if you take it out. It's only a matter of time.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I'm telling you right now...you'll miss that bench if you take it out. It's only a matter of time.

All I really want is a center arm rest with CUP HOLDERS!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
All I really want is a center arm rest with CUP HOLDERS!

Shoot...I just trashed a 60/40 bench out of an 80's truck, had the arm rest...but no cup holders. FYI...drop your glove box and there's an indention on the back side of the door that apparently held 70's drinks securely...haha. Or you could always get one of cup holder things that replace the ash tray. Or...get a 90's seat that has what you're looking for.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Shoot...I just trashed a 60/40 bench out of an 80's truck, had the arm rest...but no cup holders. FYI...drop your glove box and there's an indention on the back side of the door that apparently held 70's drinks securely...haha. Or you could always get one of cup holder things that replace the ash tray. Or...get a 90's seat that has what you're looking for.

I noticed the glove box.... Must have held coffee cups... :rofl:

I've been searching for a 90's seat for a while now. No luck so far.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

Fellro

Staff member
What color seat belts are you looking for? I have a set of red ones I can pull from a damaged truck, not an actual wreck, this damage was done after the truck sat for years. Is there a mounting point on your pillar? If not, you won't have the reinforcement that would hold in the event of an accident, unless you build it in somehow. I had a 73 in the past, but don't recall if the anchor was there and just capped or not. I had seen some where it was an option, but not mandatory that had the hole just capped, and the mount nut was there behind the cap.

73FordF100

Georgia Chapter member
Georgia
What color seat belts are you looking for? I have a set of red ones I can pull from a damaged truck, not an actual wreck, this damage was done after the truck sat for years. Is there a mounting point on your pillar? If not, you won't have the reinforcement that would hold in the event of an accident, unless you build it in somehow. I had a 73 in the past, but don't recall if the anchor was there and just capped or not. I had seen some where it was an option, but not mandatory that had the hole just capped, and the mount nut was there behind the cap.

I was looking for black ones and already found some red ones for sale but they were faded and could of been dry-rotted. If they were in good shape and somewhat cheap I may possibly be interested. Do you have any pics? Thanks.

I don't think it has a mounting point, there's gonna some modifications i'm sure of it. I don't know if it's capped or not it looks solid to me, not sure though.

Fellro

Staff member
I'll check them out and get back to you on it. I also have a green set, which likely doesn't do you any good unless you were to recolor them.

Ford Truck Articles