Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Road worthy

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
I got the gas tank all fixed up and painted today along with all the rust removed from the rear drums. Tomorrow I will be cleaning the tank straps and painting them along with making insulation pads for the gas tank from inner tubes that I picked up for free at a tire shop.

th_100_1200.jpg
[/URL] [/IMG]

Fellro

Staff member
A little late to the party, but adhesive remover like Goof Off or 3M adhesive remover works good for that. I did that kind of rework to my 86 a few years ago when I noticed the fuel dribbling on the ground... After I cleaned all the rust off,I found plenty of places that could potentially leak, as well as plenty that looked like they definitely would. I practically painted the bottom with JB, then under coated the whole tanks and put it back on. No leaks so far... BTW, definitely looking good, wish I could spend some time doing the ones I want, instead of fixing for everyone else... (family... just found out my sister put the 88 on it's side... damage isn't too bad apparently, the windshield got it a bit, and some small damage. The hitch got twisted, but the receiver survived...)

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
A little late to the party, but adhesive remover like Goof Off or 3M adhesive remover works good for that. I did that kind of rework to my 86 a few years ago when I noticed the fuel dribbling on the ground... After I cleaned all the rust off,I found plenty of places that could potentially leak, as well as plenty that looked like they definitely would. I practically painted the bottom with JB, then under coated the whole tanks and put it back on. No leaks so far... BTW, definitely looking good, wish I could spend some time doing the ones I want, instead of fixing for everyone else... (family... just found out my sister put the 88 on it's side... damage isn't too bad apparently, the windshield got it a bit, and some small damage. The hitch got twisted, but the receiver survived...)

Is your sister ok? I will see if I can find a picture of the JB Weld before painting.
Here they are. The rust really wasn't too bad. I hope to find a tilt wheel for it one day

th_100_1175.jpg
[/URL] [/IMG]

Last edited:

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Nice gramps!!
how much longer before its on the road??

Don't know Tex I need to keep gathering parts a little at the time. I have some of the breaks done but I need to rebuild the calipers. Then a new PBB and MC

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I have been working on my gas tank today. And I am 2 steps from finishing. I have to clean the inside with some paint thinner and then Paint.If you can see the tank good enough in the first picture how do you get that old glue off? I have used a wire wheel, sand paper and paint stripper. What did y'all use?

a 3M Bristle disk, eats rust and old paint right off and leaves shiny clean metal..
I'll never use a wire will again.
How did you clean the inside of the tank ? or was it not rusty?

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
a 3M Bristle disk, eats rust and old paint right off and leaves shiny clean metal..
I'll never use a wire will again.
How did you clean the inside of the tank ? or was it not rusty?

I used paint thinner for the inside of the tank to get rid of the varnish. I need to redo it and throw a chain in there to help get what little rust there is.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Lookin good Cliff. Bet you're getting anxious to get her back on the road.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts