Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Restoration

Hey to all you ford fanatics ! I've got a late 78 F150 lariat 4x4 and I'm looking to get a total restoration done. Any suggestions as to where in south Alabama to take it ??

Fellro

Staff member
II can't answer about anything in Alabama, but it depends what you want done. If you are looking to hire the job, be prepared to spend quite a bit getting it done. I realize that you are in an area that doesn't tend to have to deal with rust nearly as much as we do here, but the rest of the work will still be pricey most likely.

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
78 was the first year for the Ranger Lariat, for I also have a 78 Ranger Lariat but mine is a 4 x 2, and a Trailer Special. But the higher end models, such as the Ranger, Ranger XLT, and Ranger Lariat, but in 78 the Custom was the only one that had the round headlights, but in 79 the whole line in the F-Series pickups got the rectangular headlights. Check the sides of your cowl and it will say F-150 Ranger, and below that there will be a small red square with a chrome border on it and in the middle of it there will be chrome lettering in a fancy script that says Lariat on it. When I say Ranger, I'm referring to the trim package on the full size trucks. For that's what they were called when ours were made.check out the picture of mine that's with my signature at the bottom of this post and there are some pictures in my gallery of my truck. Enjoy and hopefully this helpful to you. And just take your time and don't get discouraged.smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo

To answer your question.

Unless you have special LARIAT trim needs the restoration will cost the same no matter which model you own.
The extent of the restoration is dependent on what needs doing and what is found while doing it .
Costs can change.

I just checked out what my truck
78 Ranger Explorer would cost to replace both bedsides and minor front fender repair...repaint the entire truck and paint the pin striping.

I was told minimum $9000.

I only paid $6250. 00 new.

Total restoration for a 78 pickup at a reputable shop.

Better have at least $25,000 ready.

You can view brochures in my gallery.

Dennis

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
Have thought of doing some of the smaller minor stuff yourself? That way you could save some money on your restoration. Like cleaning up the chrome moldings up, the ones that are around your headliner, for they're rather difficult to find. What I did with mine to clean them is that I had used a stainless steel pot scrubber with a little bit of water, I had learned that from watching American Restoration. And it worked for me try it, but what would drive the cost is the Lariat specific items, other things that you could do yourself is your weatherstripping that goes around the door openings, and also your speaker grilles on your door panels, what I did on mine is that I used 1/8 inch chrome pin striping tape on mine and they looked like brand new ones when I was done with them, I had used two rolls of that tape on mine. Ranger429 had a post here on Ford Truck Fanatics in the Generation 6 forum, another little you can do as well is your emblems that say F-150 Ranger is that if your chrome is good condition, you can get a small vial of flat black automotive touch up paint to do the black areas on them and they'll look like new. For your fuel door bumpers and lower tail gate bumpers you can go to your local Ford dealer and get the ones for a newer Super Duty, and for your upper tail gate bumpers go to your local Chevy dealer and get a pair of tailgate bumpers for a 2004 to 2011 Colorado for they're the round ones like they used on our trucks in 78, and the Super Duty tail gate bumpers are L shaped like the originals, that's how I had dealt with my tail gate, also if your LariatsmilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo specific trim is in good condition you could consider cleaning it up and reusing it. Other ideas is check out LMC truck, eBay, flea markets, swap meets, and your local salvage yards. Hopefully this will help you. Have fun take you time and be patient and don't give up and don't get discouraged. Please put up some pictures when you're done, it'd be nice to see them.smilieFordlogo

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Collecting parts and saving them up while waiting on the restro is not only cost effective, but part of the fun.

Fellro

Staff member
I seem to generally be stuck in that part of the process...

BTW, I do happen to have a 78 Lariat parts truck. It is a shame they tore it up so bad moving it from where it had sat for so long. It was very restorable before they did.

There are far better places to buy parts than LMC.

I used to tell people. .if someone suggests lmc...they don't really care about you.

A decade of hearing complaints caused that.

Dennis Carpenter. BOTP...MACSAUTOPARTS. ..NPD...California truck parts.etc etc

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
I've had rather good luck with LMC Truck, but, could check out some of the other parts houses that Mil1ion mentioned in his last post, for they might have that obscure, weird, odd little part that I might need or want. I have no complaints with LMC.smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Hey to all you ford fanatics ! I've got a late 78 F150 lariat 4x4 and I'm looking to get a total restoration done. Any suggestions as to where in south Alabama to take it ??

I can't suggest any names in your area, but from what I've seen good restoration shops do most of their advertisement by word of mouth.

Ask friends and acquaintances if they're old-car kinda people, or wander around car shows/clubs and ask people.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
^^ I agree...often the best places don't advertise and are well booked.

Those places mentioned are far superior to LMC...quite frankly, I could not imagine using LMC and restoration in the same sentence.

I've had rather good luck with LMC Truck, but, could check out some of the other parts houses that Mil1ion mentioned in his last post, for they might have that obscure, weird, odd little part that I might need or want. I have no complaints with LMC.smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo

LMC parts are not true Ford stamped parts so you have to be prepared to do minor adjustments and/or trimming to make the parts work. Also, the color of the replacement parts will be slightly different, ie. carpet/headliner/door panels, tail lights, etc. Not a big deal for some, but just letting you guys know that may not be aware of this. LMC is very clear in stating this too.

LMC is good for driver quality builds, but for a show quality I recommend the places mil1ion mentioned. Don't get me wrong, LMC canbe used for show quality but the price of making adjustments as opposed to buying a better quality to begin with won't save u any money. We do resto work at the shop, saving $150 on a part can easily add $300 to an install for a show quality finish.

Another thing to consider though, off the showroom floor, the fit and finish wasn't that great anyways, so u will need to decide if u want a day one resto, a better than factory resto or a really nice driver resto.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts