Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

rear drum removal

ok as promised here is the rear drum problem i have. i cant get them off. i dont know why. i tried everything i know and could possibly think of to get them off and they wont budge. i tried prying on them,hitting them with a heavy hammer while turning them,hitting them from side to side,hitting them from the front and back, also i tried all of this with heat and wd40 applied. no matter what i do they dont budge. my friends landlord said i have to remove the the 8 axle cover bolts and pull the bearing out to remove them. i dont know if this is true or not and didnt want to try it until i knew for sure that it had to be done. i was also told that the drum and rear hub is all one assembly (first time ive ever heard that one) but then again ive never owned a 3/4 ton truck before either. but ive always known the drums to just "slide" over the hub and into place when they are re-installed. also a side note, when my truck gets warm it gets a really loud "whine or whistle" it doesnt do this when cold only when nice and warm and starts out low and gradual and then gets louder. but it disappears when gearing up and the throttle is applied. basically say i shift at 2k rpms and i go from 3rd to 4th itll go away until i start letting off the throttle and the more i let off the louder it gets. i have no clue whats causing this or if this can hurt my truck or not. all i know is that its annoying and crap and dosent seem to affect the running or drivability of the truck. it a 2wd with a 300 6 1bbl 79 f250. so any help on this will be greatly appreciated here. thanks again bill

Fellro

Staff member
You have to take that out, but it is not a cover, it is the axle. Then you will find a retainer nut that holds the beings in place. The drum and hub ARE all one piece on these trucks. The drum doesn't separate until the Sterling axle shows up in the mid to late 80's.

Does the whine match the engine speed ot the road speed?

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Here is a link to a picture in the manuals subforum for 1978. As Mark stated, 1979 should be the same as 1978. It is located in Volume 1, Group 11. This is just for the wheels themselves, but it does show a picture of the bearing attached to the wheel drum. The page you want is 11-14, pages 1-4(if I remember right).

http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29132

thanks for clearing up the drum situation. now i know what i have to do to remove them. as for the whine its the engine(does it when the engine is warm) it doesnt matter if im idling or driving but it doesnt seem to match the speed of the engine. for example when i drive up a hill and apply the throttle it goes away but as i release the throttle the more i release it the louder it gets. when the throttle is closed it matches the speed of the engine (like goin down hill or at a stop light) but when i start moving as long as i have my foot on the gas it disappears. it would be so much easier to take someone for a ride and let them hear it and then what im saying would make sense but trying to explain it isnt easy

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
My guess is that the carb is loose, and you are hearing the vacuum leak while no throttle pressure is applied.

When you apply throttle to it, you are pushing it tight back down with throttle pressure

I 6 carbs of that era have a habit of loosening themselves over time

The brake drums started separating from the Axel hub on 86 f 350's and 87 f 250's. All previous years, you have to separate the axle, and pull the hub to remove the brake drum

i actually removed the carb and cleaned it with carb cleaner(did not dis-assemble it) replaced the gasket to the carb and also did the same with the "spacer" below it removed,cleaned,replaced the gasket. re-installed and tightened the 2 nuts and still does it. if it was a vac leak wouldnt it do this all the time and not wait until the engine it norm operating temp? i thought vac leaks where there regardless of engine temp. im not in any means an expert on this so thats why im guessing and asking on the vac leak

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I would check the intake gasket next to the head next then, Use carb cleaner, and spray while the engine is running. If the idle rises while you are hitting it with the carb cleaner, you have found your leak.

Be carefull here, try not to hit the hot exhaust manifold, you could have a fire.

thanks for the tips :) i ran the truck a little bit tonight and when it warmed up the noise from the carb didnt show up except for a few times and it only lasted a few seconds at most. but i will still look into the intake gasket and check for leaks. wont hurt to do it so i will

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts