Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Poll: Engines

Poll:Engines

• Total voters

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Any particular reason why you're aiming for the 2-300 hp range? I'm no expert on the power numbers, but I'd bet you could damn near just drop in a 351 and be in that range. So yeah, that makes sense...but for ease of swap, I'd find a 351 truck of the same vintage and swap everything so the rig will still be compliant.

The 200-300 HP is for the 300 I6. Where a 302 or a 351W would be a lot easier to beat the 300 HP mark without a lot of expense. And from the poll a 351W looks to be the best bet.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
I voted 302, for reasons I outlined in a different thread. I'm too tired tonight to post them all over again.

A completely stock 5.8EFI with nothing more than a cam change and longtubes will make 275hp and close to 400tq, and the kicker is that combo can get upwards of 18mpg on the highway if the rest of the powertrain(trans, axle gearing, tire size) is optomized for it. The 460 can beat those power numbers but it won't touch the milage figures, and the smaller motors won't hit any of those targets with anything besides a blower.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
A completely stock 5.8EFI with nothing more than a cam change and longtubes will make 275hp and close to 400tq, and the kicker is that combo can get upwards of 18mpg on the highway if the rest of the powertrain(trans, axle gearing, tire size) is optomized for it. The 460 can beat those power numbers but it won't touch the milage figures, and the smaller motors won't hit any of those targets with anything besides a blower.

you & I are going to have to talk one day when I build my 351w...

Ryan

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
tl;dr

Well lets see...I liked the 302 alright except the mileage blew in my that clocked the scales at 9k. So I did the 351 build and the power is sweet but turns out the mileage sucks even more (8-10 w/302 4-6 w/351) But figure that was with 3.55 gearing turning 36's...and i dont know what the truck scales at now but with all the 1 ton driveline i would guess slightly heavier...
I think the tune and custom ECU have alot to do with that but as soon as i can im ditching EFI anyways.

Long story slightly less long, id take a stock 351 over any of the other options assuming all are stock

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
My engines of choice would be the carbed 351M / 400 of the mid to late 1970's with a good 4 barrel and intake manifold. Although the 351 Winsdor is not too shabby of a choice either , but what would be a really badass engine would be a 534 C.i. Truck engine that was used in the bigger Ford trucks such as the F-600 up to the F-900, and in the C-Series cab over, as well as some of the smaller Louisvilles as well as the N-Series that was before the Louisville.smilieFordlogosmilieFordlogo

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
never mind. I missed the thread was drug up from the past

Last edited:

never mind. I missed the thread was drug up from the past

Never mind that Charlie - what Paul said really piques my interest ...... i wonder what he meant by saying that if the drivetrain was optimized to suit the engine you could get upwards of 18mpg - i've achieved over that with my 5.0 but i was being exceedingly nice to it and had the hho running on a long lightly loaded trip

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
the 5.0 I built in the 94 ( see Feb TOTM )
is backed by the 4r70w
Same one the mustangs use. I have a shift kit in it.
it has 3.55's in it.
On a dyno pull at my buddies (just for laughs, because we used the truck to bring my fox body up there) I hit 325 at the rear wheels.

Loaded with the flea market stuff, and my wife's heavy foot ( she loves hearing the throttle body growel )
it gets about 14 mpg
We bought the box truck, so the 94 is now just a grocery getter, and "lets go see mom" truck now
Last tank, it was giving me 19.2 mpg. I will go through 2 more tanks, and let you know the average.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
the 5.0 I built in the 94 ( see Feb TOTM )
is backed by the 4r70w
Same one the mustangs use. I have a shift kit in it.
it has 3.55's in it.
On a dyno pull at my buddies (just for laughs, because we used the truck to bring my fox body up there) I hit 325 at the rear wheels.

Loaded with the flea market stuff, and my wife's heavy foot ( she loves hearing the throttle body growel )
it gets about 14 mpg
We bought the box truck, so the 94 is now just a grocery getter, and "lets go see mom" truck now
Last tank, it was giving me 19.2 mpg. I will go through 2 more tanks, and let you know the average.

I call BS on 325 to the tire on a stock F4 Cam GT40 Heads unless spraying it like a mad man..

Just not even gonna come close to that.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I hate this site.
I can post the paper work, but why should I? I was ask a question, I answered.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Lay off Chris, you gotta problem take it up in a PM.

Or grow a pair and explain why it ain't possible, you replying like you have makes you sound like an arrogant tool.

Last edited:

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
It was an issue of tact, Chris. It doesn't have to be a confrentation.

I have that setup (more or less) and I really expect the flywheel horsepower to be somewhere around 280, and torque around 360. Who knows about power to wheels.

Ryan

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Its not gonna make 325 to the tire on a stock iron head and F4 cam.

The lightning's have a equal intake to the 5.0 truck, have the GT40 heads and have a flat tappet cam that's similar in grind as the F4. Just flat tappet instead.

And they only make 245hp at the flywheel.

You need way more cam to make 300+ in a 302 on gt40 heads. So much that it won't even be drivable in a truck.

The math just don't allow it.

Mainly cause 325whp means your making 375ish at the crank.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
There is no way to answer this without making an argument with you.
I never said it was a stock head. I said it was a stock casting.
Where did you get that from
I never said the plenum was stock. Nor the injectors, or throttle body. Nor the crank. even the pistons are .040 of not stock.
In fact, I don't ever remember posting a build thread about the motor.
I do remember mentioning a few facts about it, not bragging, just mentioning, mostly because someone (duncan) from the site thought the truck would be an interesting truck to share

I don't just go order stuff off the internet, then quote the side of the box, and act like I know everything there ever was to know about everything

Another thing mr credit card user, if you read what I posted, you would see that it wasn't about how much power, it was about the gas milage.

You are way off point here.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts