Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New harmonic balancer

HaHaHaHA....old like yours. smilietease

Guess it depends on your perspective.

Sorry.....'hiding_smilie'

In my opinion, an old truck is a truck that starts to need parts like harmonic balancers and rear main seals, lol.

Hmm....mixed feelings about that definition. Never had a vehicle of any kind that needed a new harmonic balancer...so I never had an old truck?

Then again...just about every ford I ever owned leaked a little at the rear main...so all of them were old?

Hmmm.....smiliestirthepot

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Lol, I was trying to make an analogy. What I mean is, I consider a car old when you start having to perform maintenance that isn't just regular maintenance (like fluids, bearings, seals). Bigger repairs and stuff.

Lol, I was trying to make an analogy. What I mean is, I consider a car old when you start having to perform maintenance that isn't just regular maintenance (like fluids, bearings, seals). Bigger repairs and stuff.

Ahh...now see...that makes a lot more sense.

You need to be more specific with these things. smilietease

so I take it changing it out was not the night mare a lot people were making it out to be-hey I figured if I could do it anybody could-glad it came off and went back on with no hitches-good jobsmiliegitrdone

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Yeah changing that balancer had to be just about the easiest thing I've ever had to do to my truck, lol. It was a real piece of cake.

andym

Real men are fanatics
I'm sure the expert assistance you recruited had something to do with that. beer emoticon

Did you retime it? Does it run any better?

Eco, the old one had deteriorated to the point where the balance ring had slipped by about 15 degrees. I'm actually thinking of putting a new balance on my Bronco because of this, but I think I'll take a close look at mine first.

And the job was about a 2 on a 1-10 scale. If we hadn't needed to drive down the street to get the right socket, I think it would have been done in under an hour.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Well... I went to Tom's shop and rechecked the timing... Guess what, 14*!! WTF?! Only thing I can think of is that maybe the ring on the balancer rotated AFTER I timed the engine... Very strange indeed. But Andy saw it, the timing ring was definitely not lined up from the new one to the old one... Oh well, I'll report about the vibrations more when I get a chance to drive it on the freeway.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
I hope I helped by encouraging you to NOT do what I did......otherwise Andy would look a bit more like Frankenstein......he'd have the bolts stickin outta his neck then.

JR

Ford Truck Articles