Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Mystery noise coming from wheel area, driving me nuts!

460Trucker

Has the Cat Scratch Fever
Hey guys! For the past month or so I have been getting this noise coming from the area of the driver's side wheel whenever I turn my wheel to the left. It also can be heard when I go over a bump for the duration of the bump. It has been getting progressively worse (louder and nastier sounding) and even my dad's mechanic cannot figure out what it is. I tried dousing it in WD-40 and nothing really happened. I can hear it bouncing off the houses and trees when Im driving and it sounds like hell. Any ideas? Much appreciated

460Trucker

Will do. Also the sound is like a rythmic squeak. Kinda like a really loud bird chirping at a high rate of speed. Best way i can describe it lol

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Check the left side rear axle bearing. It sounds like it's dry. Have you checked your rear oil level lately?

460Trucker

I have not Charlie, how would I go about doing that? I have never done that before. Also, it sounds like its coming right from the wheel area itself, not further back. I will also check out the bushings on the radius arms like Randy suggested.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Front wheel bearing maybe?...when's the last time the hubs were apart?

460Trucker

Couldn't tell ya Duncan. I had my dad's mechanic take a look at the bearings and ball joints, I had him go through the entire assembly and he said everything look in great condition. His only guess was he said theres dust cover things that are on each axle end and one may be broken.

460Trucker

On a side note I am trying to learn as much as possible so I never have to pay for a mechanic service, its a ripoff a lot of times!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Is there anything caught between the dust shield and rotor?

460Trucker

Nothing stood out to me as being out of place, i washed it out too with a high pressure hose when I washed my truck on Sunday. Didn't change anything unfortunately.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Nothing stood out to me as being out of place, i washed it out too with a high pressure hose when I washed my truck on Sunday. Didn't change anything unfortunately.

Did you look back there?....I've had it happen twice recently here....once on the 350 and the Lincoln.....pull the wheel and have a look...can get jammed in the holes.

460Trucker

No I have not taken the wheel off, I will check it on my next day off and get back to you guys. Thanks for all the help so far everyone, if anyone thinks of anything else to try feel free to chime in! smilieFordlogo

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Does it feel like your going over rumble strips? Auto hubs still?

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I have not Charlie, how would I go about doing that? I have never done that before. Also, it sounds like its coming right from the wheel area itself, not further back. I will also check out the bushings on the radius arms like Randy suggested.
Axel bearings are at the wheel right there at the brakes

get the truck on level ground, and climb under. Look at the front of the rear, you will see a plug that a 1/2" ratchet will fit in. Clean this area well with a wire brush, then open it. Oil should run out a little bit. The level should be even with the bottom of the hole at least.
If low, get some 80 w 90, and put in. I use the nozzle end with a piece of plastic hose shoved on it. Adding oil sucks, and stinks. Wear rubber gloves unless you want to smell gear oil for a week.

460Trucker

Does it feel like your going over rumble strips? Auto hubs still?

Nope its a normal smooth (as smooth as a OBS Ford will get haha) ride. Mine has the lockout hubs.

Axel bearings are at the wheel right there at the brakes

get the truck on level ground, and climb under. Look at the front of the rear, you will see a plug that a 1/2" ratchet will fit in. Clean this area well with a wire brush, then open it. Oil should run out a little bit. The level should be even with the bottom of the hole at least.
If low, get some 80 w 90, and put in. I use the nozzle end with a piece of plastic hose shoved on it. Adding oil sucks, and stinks. Wear rubber gloves unless you want to smell gear oil for a week.

I will try this shortly before I take off the wheel. Thanks for the tips

460Trucker

Well I did an even more depth visual inspection and come to find a rusty piece of metal hanging around in there. Theres these cheese grater type pieces of metal (not sure what they are called) on the inside of the wheels. A piece had nearly rusted off and was gouging into the wheel. Theres a nice wear line on the inside of the wheel going all the way around that confirmed this. I have since removed the piece and will be test driving tomorrow morning to see whether or not that was the problem.

460Trucker

Ok so what could this metal piece be called that I mentioned in my precious post? I think thats the issue, the piece i removed from it seems to have helped significantly with the squeaking. I may need to replace the whole thing.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
That is the dust shield for the brakes....holes are there for ventilation. It might be spot welded on...pretty sure the ones on my 79 are, been an issue for cleaning etc.

460Trucker

So thats what that is! Haha thanks Duncan. Yea theres still a audible squeak but it is not nearly as bad. Do you know of any place that may sell new ones? I checked LMC but couldnt find any in their catalog.

primetime

sawmill slave
The dust shields are sandwhiched between the spindle and the knuckle, which makes them a pain to remove. You`ll have to remove the caliper, the rotor, which will require a wheel bearing/spindle nut socket, and then the spindle itself. The spindle can be removed with a hammer and chisel, but a slide hammer is easier, although they still come off hard. Real hard sometimes.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts