Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Mystery noise coming from wheel area, driving me nuts!

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
So thats what that is! Haha thanks Duncan. Yea theres still a audible squeak but it is not nearly as bad. Do you know of any place that may sell new ones? I checked LMC but couldnt find any in their catalog.

When the one on my '97 Ranger started making noise, I couldn't find 'em anywhere except Ford...which wanted $119 each. Guy at CarQuest told me he could only get 'em for Chevy half-tons, and the rest of the world was SOL.

I left it off...and ripped the other one off (that is, without pulling the rotor and taking out the screws holding it in place) when it got rusty enough to start rattling. I'm sure some believe it's a necessary piece, but I'd do the same thing again.

primetime

sawmill slave
When the one on my '97 Ranger started making noise, I couldn't find 'em anywhere except Ford...which wanted $119 each. Guy at CarQuest told me he could only get 'em for Chevy half-tons, and the rest of the world was SOL.

I left it off...and ripped the other one off (that is, without pulling the rotor and taking out the screws holding it in place) when it got rusty enough to start rattling. I'm sure some believe it's a necessary piece, but I'd do the same thing again.

I`ve left them off also and the only time I had a problem was blowing through deepish unbroken snow in my 94 half ton. I would step on the brakes and not have any. My plow truck doesn`t have them and it has not been a problem.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
So thats what that is! Haha thanks Duncan. Yea theres still a audible squeak but it is not nearly as bad. Do you know of any place that may sell new ones? I checked LMC but couldnt find any in their catalog.

No idea where to get them...none of my manuals are for that late of year either, so I'm no help with a part number...sorry.

460Trucker

Has the Cat Scratch Fever
All good and thanks for the helpful tips guys. I played around with it and readjusted it and I have since had no squeaks. Also washed it out real good. Thank you all so much!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
BTW Mike....you do know that the 12th Commandment is "thou shalt not give LMC even my used TP"....preceded by the 11th that reads "those in a sane state of mind will piss on GM"

:D

Just checking

460Trucker

LOL guys, I gotta ask why do some like LMC and others not so much? :D

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
I have no idea. For the price and availability I think its hard to beat LMC. It's not NOS or original tooling reproductions, but it cheap too. I've been very happy with the things I've bought from them.

Duncan will never speak to me again now...

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Before I was ever on any forums, and heard bad things about LMC quality, I purchased factory style grill inserts for my 77 F250. That was probably 15 years ago. That being said, I am happy with the way they look, even considering they are old, and the truck has not been garaged a single day since they were put on.

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
LOL guys, I gotta ask why do some like LMC and others not so much? :D

Boils down to what you are expecting or wanting Mike. If you don't mind parts that are not 100% factory fit and finish, then LMC works, but be aware that minor adjustments or modifications are required. Also, parts from LMC do not have any "FORD" markings or logo on them, this is a big thing for a lot of guys! One last thing, the materials used are, well, let's say you get what you pay for.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
That summed it up nicely Roy

460Trucker

Well said guys. I guess I will add myself to the hall of shame for buying that black grill :headbang: smilieFordlogo

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Nah...you own a Ford....the GM owner though....:wasntme:

:rofl: :rofl:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts