Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

My build update

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
I burned my first tank of ethanol and it came out to be a whopping 6 mpg. Half of the driving was around town and the other half was between 50 and 60 mph and an occasional "get the hell out of my way" acceleration. I'm still toying with the carb a little just to make sure I get the truck to run at it's best. Runs good now, but a few times, it has quit a stop sign. I think I had the idle a bit low too. Gettin there though.

Also, here is another pic with the upper bed chrome on. After I got the chrome on, I noticed I have to come up with the rear of the bed just a little more.

IMG_1889.jpg

Drool Drool

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Thanks for the compliments guys. Still a little way to go. I have to replace the A/C compressor that went out last week. Still need some trim pieces and drill some holes in the doors and front fenders for those. I also need to fix the rear main seal yet. A few bugs to work out yet, but nothing too major. My time has sure been directed elsewhere lately. A few projects inside the house keeps me busy and so does my 10m old son. He likes to ride in the truck because he gets to sit right next to me.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hey Buck...any updates on the truck. You should only have a few more weeks til you put it away for the winter right?

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
A couple updates. As you can see from my sig pic, I've managed to get the mirrors on and all my holes drilled for the lower racetrac chrome. I did scrounge up some chrome, although it's not perfect by no means, but it'll do for now until I can get some better stuff. I'm still tinkering with the carb a bit to see if it runs a bit better when I start it. The ethanol seems to be a bit tricky. The truck won't hold an idle until I get the temp up a bit and then it runs great. Im still trying to figure that out. It's like it's not getting enough fuel at the start. I'm messing with the choke, floats and mixers a bit to see what I can get accomplished. Anyway, yes only about a month or so before I offically call it a season of driving, unless we have a warm winter (yeah right). Then I can work on a couple leaks I have from the tranny and rear main. A couple hiccups so far. My junkyard A/C compressor lasted a month and then I had to replace that. I already had to replace a defective starter. I still need to get some chrome around the taillights and on the tailgate.

IMG_2217.jpg

IMG_2215.jpg

IMG_2214.jpg

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Buck that is just amazing man. I'm extremely happy for you. This build deserves to be published somewhere. Your truck is just pure awesomeness. Maybe I missed it, but do you have any power numbers for that 521? Can't wait to see future updates and maybe a video or two.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Who manufactures the wheels that you have on your truck and what size are they? They look really good on the truck.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Hey thanks for all the compliements. The truck still isn't where I'd like it to be, but getting there. I've got some minor irritating fluid leaks I need to fix, but nothing too major. Just need to work some bugs out. Ben, AFA the power numbers, I don't have any yet. I never had a chance to put it on a dyno. I would really like to get that done at some point in time so I know what I have.

Fatherdoug, the wheels are Eagle Alloys 16x10s with 35s. Nothing special, but I like the look. It has been very cool to be able to drive the truck. I was hoping to put on about a 1000 miles on it, but I don't think I'll get there. I only have around 400 or so. But I think I have a good start of breaking the truck in and seeing what kind of things I need to fix. The rear main seal is what gets me the most. I used a good Viton rear main seal and still have a leak which started just shortly after the first run on the engine. Pisses me off, but what ya gonna do. I have decided to just wait until fall/winter to get that repaired.

I'm not too crazy about the 4-5 MPG, but its what I've built and it'll do. The motor does have some get up and go so I can't complain. Ben, I will get a video of some sort very soon. And thanks again for the compliments. It really makes a build more worth while when people appreciate these builds/trucks. I never thought I'd get it to this point, but it's sure getting there.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I've finally gotten all the chrome back on the tail gate also which I don't have a pic of and I have to see if I can adjust the tailgate a bit because on the drivers side the chrome doesn't quite line up, but I know that side of the bed was dented in the tail light section so that may be the problem, but I'll wait and see. I'll post a link to my photobucket to show all the pics I've taken during the project. Some may not even be of my truck, but reference pics so pay no attention to those.

http://s79.photobucket.com/albums/j155/bucks77highboy/

Here is a short video of the truck running. It was kinda late so I didn't want to wake the neighbors. I don't have one of burnouts or going down the road yet. Before I got too mean with the truck, I want to make sure things are working well. I'm not too sure on the exhaust though. It sounds fine, but I think I prefer something quieter. I was kinda anxious to get exhaust on the truck and the exhaust shop I went to first wasn't able to get my truck in for some time so when I was at a local shop getting the A/C charged, they told me they could do exhaust and gave me a pretty good deal since I've taken other vehicles to them and they did it that day. The mufflers they bragged up were Thrush mufflers and I figured what the hell. So I went with those and 2.5" exhaust. In time, I may have different ones put on. But, for right now it does the job. Oh and pay no attention to some table legs sticking out of the bed (yes, I'm using the bed for some storage right now)

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Simply ridiculous Buck...great job.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
That's great!!!! An inspiration to us all!

That sounds very close to my Bronco. I also noticed those legs sticking up thing WTF are those. My 250 turns into a storage container in the winter as well. Nice job Buck.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
That is a great looking truck!..I agree with Lee...very motivating!

Fan freakin' tastic...I'm gonna save this thread for further review when I get home from class tonight :)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts