Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Mag-Hytec trans pan installed

Kep4

Jäger
Installed a Mag-Hytec trans pan over the weekend. My last trip up the Grapevine grade had my trans up to 209 for a minute or so. Hopefully this will help, I'll let you all know after my trip this weekend.

Tips on the install, you need a 'ball-tip' 6mm hex key for two of the allen bolts at the rear of the trans. You would have to remove the trans crossmember if you don't have that tool. It comes with some shorter allen bolts for some of the blind holes in the trans case and I used all of them in the suggested positions as suggested in the instructions.
Lastly, try not to spill as much trans fluid on yourself as I did, it's quite uncomfortable on a 95 degree day.

Sure was nice to have instructions not written in China!

blacksnapon

Staff member
When the trans cooler lines run through the radiator, the fluid will never get any cooler than the anti freeze. I always installed an external trans cooler and deleted the radiator.

Kep4

Jäger
When the trans cooler lines run through the radiator, the fluid will never get any cooler than the anti freeze. I always installed an external trans cooler and deleted the radiator.
Don't these trucks have a large external trans cooler though? Should I bypass the radiator trans 'cooler' (heater)?

Kep4

Jäger
So if I actually had an accurate water temp gauge I could track that. Hmmmm.... seems another project is on the horizon.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
If it runs through the radiator, even if you have an external cooler, it gets no lower than coolant temp.
Not questioning your respones Vince, as I would never do that :spank:, but if the external cooler was down stream of the radiator cooler, it is possible that you could achieve cooler than coolant temps in the tranny fluid. If the external were upstream of the radiator cooler then your info would be accurate.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Not questioning your respones Vince, as I would never do that :spank:, but if the external cooler was down stream of the radiator cooler, it is possible that you could achieve cooler than coolant temps in the tranny fluid. If the external were upstream of the radiator cooler then your info would be accurate.
So what is our Super Duties?? Do ours even run through the radiator?

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Good question Todd, I don't know the P&ID of our trucks so I could not answer that one, Vince, BT, or Canada could though.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Yeah, they do run through it, as well as another external one. Ryan, you're right, but, the fluid is going fast enough, where it doesn't have that much time to lose the heat gained in the radiator tank.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Well, you got me there, didn't think about the velocity of the fluid vs. the time it takes to excahnge the heat. So if you are saying what I think your saying, if you have a trans temp gauge installed, it should be a fair representation of the Water temp, scaled of course.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Well, you got me there, didn't think about the velocity of the fluid vs. the time it takes to excahnge the heat. So if you are saying what I think your saying, if you have a trans temp gauge installed, it should be a fair representation of the Water temp, scaled of course.
Yeah, thats pretty accurate. Now, the 6.0 oil cooler!

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Really?? I have a Water Temp Gauge and a Tranny Temp Gauge. Now the Water Temp, now that it's 90-100 degrees outside is running between 190 and 210 degrees, but the tranny gauge is running 170-185 degrees consistently.

blacksnapon

Staff member
You're going to have some minor differences. When the water gets 210, it will be a while before the trans fluid gets there. Differences in where the sensors are mounted makes a difference.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
You're going to have some minor differences. When the water gets 210, it will be a while before the trans fluid gets there. Differences in where the sensors are mounted makes a difference.
Now that makes some sense. :D

Storm

Vince is right.. To achieve a lower trans temp you have to bypass the radiator.. Air temperature spread across a fin setup (ext trans cooler) doesn't provide enough counter temp to lower the fluid.. You would need to at least, maybe, a setup that provided a good 60* to be able to lower the fluid fast enough..

I'm considering eliminating the routing through the radiator when I move to this twin turbo setup next year.. I'll be running a different transmission then the Torqueshift and will need to keep it as cool as possible..

It's a high number but I'm hoping to get 650hp out of this setup Matt and I are going to do.. Sucks I gotta make the trip from Central Texas to North Carolina LOL! Plus a pit stop to see my good Ol' Buddy Todd (GRIN)

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Really?? I have a Water Temp Gauge and a Tranny Temp Gauge. Now the Water Temp, now that it's 90-100 degrees outside is running between 190 and 210 degrees, but the tranny gauge is running 170-185 degrees consistently.

Todd, that is what I meant by scaled, the tranny would be a certain % or value lower than the coolant, but once that value is known, it should be very darn consistant.

Storm

I have external gauge for Water Temp.. Mine always reads between 190-192 degrees..

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Todd, that is what I meant by scaled, the tranny would be a certain % or value lower than the coolant, but once that value is known, it should be very darn consistant.
Doh!! I knew that, just seein' if you did. Yeah, that's it. lol

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
It's a high number but I'm hoping to get 650hp out of this setup Matt and I are going to do.. Sucks I gotta make the trip from Central Texas to North Carolina LOL! Plus a pit stop to see my good Ol' Buddy Todd (GRIN)
Yeah, to see a really fast truck!!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts