Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

looking at a new truck

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Whoa, settle down guys... I was being a little sarcastic more than anything, lol. I'd trust the Blue Oval before anything else, but I realize it's limits.

Trouble maker :rofl:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Whoa, settle down guys... I was being a little sarcastic more than anything, lol. I'd trust the Blue Oval before anything else, but I realize it's limits.

Plain and simple...:ban:

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
OK long post but worth the read....

Here is my take on it after owning one now for 5 years and buying mine with 106,000 on it.

1. When you buy a lifted truck you buy someone elses lifted problems.
2. I don't care how big the tires are if they are over a 31x9.5, you are going to go through $135 front hub assemblies every 8 months or so.
3. The 5.4 is a good motor, but also has its problems. You will more than likely have issues with the spark plugs on the pass side blowing out as the head design on pre 04 heads SUCK.
4. Your looking at 12 mpgs average.
5. Transmissions are pretty weak the older they get. Expect to put a new one in it or have yours rebuilt in less than 15K
6. Looks to me like a body lift, which on these trucks can be a big help when working on the engine. If done wrong they can be a very bad thing though.
7. Coils go out pretty regularly. To give you an idea, I carry one in the truck and the tools to fix it at ALL times.
8. HATE the interior color LOL I like the gray int. and white ext. combo.

Now on to the good things about them. LOL

Very easily upgraded with tuners and such.
Take very well to a K&N stock replacement filter(which is a cone by the way)
Thse motors sound great when you put an exhaust on them.
GREAT ext. color!

Hope it helps, don't wanna piss on your parade but if I were looking for one of these models, I would pass on this one, find a bone stock one for cheaper(without the lift), and buy it from and older gent that repected it. Then you can beat the hell outta it, knowing your the first! LOL

And I know they can be boosted fairly simply. ( Now that I learned the hard way)

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
i found a better offer, i decided to pass on the reg cab iv found this one and if its still available in the morning im gonna be making arrangements for its purchase, its in the same area and this vehicle has a spotless carfax record, one owner, reg maintenance, no wrecks, and the owner is an older man so i dont figure it was hot rodded around, i forgot to ask what size v8 it had, does n e one know the vin code for the 4.6 or 5.4? im posting a link of the new truck below

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...00&cardist=160&standard=false&captcha=success

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Is there any rhyme or reason to you picking a truck or do you just have money burning a hole in your pocket? You kinda went opposite ends of the spectrum from the first truck posted to this one. I think the second truck will be in better condition and at a better price. That being said, I wouldn't put all your eggs in one basket with just a carfax. Any reason in particular you're being an eager beaver with these trucks? Unless it's a deal I just absolutely can't refuse, I typically take a week or so talking with the owner, going over the rig, etc. Just be careful you don't get burned because you're jumping in too fast. As I've said before, the rig picks you...not the other way around. If it's meant to be, it'll be there.

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
i need a new d.d. and my 94 ext cab contacted a cow at 70 mph

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
i kno the whole let the car pick u thing, and thats usually how i go, exept for the ext cab 94 i hated that thing n it hated me

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
ok so ive been looking and bein kinda picky about trucks but i think iv found a darn sweet truck what do yall think?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...e=6500&cardist=81&standard=false&rdpage=thumb

More of my favorite things: K&N, new sound system, flowmaster...

Not that I'm against these things, mind you- just speaks to the age/demographics of the owner I want to avoid. I seriously would spend extra time looking for something adult owned and maintained.

Ford Truck Articles