Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

K&N vs OEM Paper Airfilters

radialarm

Clown of Death!
Nice presentation Bob, but I'll never use anything but Motorcraft filters. (oil, gas, & air)

Fellro

Staff member
Put them on a shop vac, see how much they catch that way...

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
That could be.

I am not defending KN or anything, but they are designed to flow more VAPOR than the paper while using oil to catch the particulate. Saying that the KN does not filter as well because it flows more vapor (ie. smoke) doesn't make much sence to me since thats what it is supposed to do.

Well, this independent report says K&N has the worst filter efficiency!

http://duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm

blacksnapon

Staff member
Does blowing smoke through the filter determine how well it filters out particulate in the air? Dust, dirt ect. are what hurts the motor, not smoke or other vapors.

I would be curious to see something like this done with particulate filled air. A paper filter on one side an a freshly oiled KN on the other.
If a K&N gives you so much power, how much would you gain if you took out the filter all together? If it flows more air, that means the holes are bigger. Over 30 years of wrenching has shown me their claims are bogus. Replacing engines that have fine dirt in the intake passages, turbos that appear to have been operating in a sandblaster, valves that have little specks of silica sand imbedded in them. If I'm looking at a vehicle to purchase it, and it has a K&N in it, I'll shut the hood and look elsewhere.

If a K&N gives you so much power, how much would you gain if you took out the filter all together? If it flows more air, that means the holes are bigger. Over 30 years of wrenching has shown me their claims are bogus. Replacing engines that have fine dirt in the intake passages, turbos that appear to have been operating in a sandblaster, valves that have little specks of silica sand imbedded in them. If I'm looking at a vehicle to purchase it, and it has a K&N in it, I'll shut the hood and look elsewhere.

I understand what you are saying. Unless I am mistaking, when the filter gets oiled, the holes get smaller.

Don't get me wrong, I use paper style filters too, except for one of the crankcase breathers. The only reason it's KN is because nobody else made one that would work. KN seems to have the most comprehensive catalog for filters/breathers out there.

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
I understand what you are saying. Unless I am mistaking, when the filter gets oiled, the holes get smaller.

Don't get me wrong, I use paper style filters too, except for one of the crankcase breathers. The only reason it's KN is because nobody else made one that would work. KN seems to have the most comprehensive catalog for filters/breathers out there.

This was a brand new filter and the instructions said it was pre-oiled. So, the closeup of the filter media that I took was with it "oiled".

Did you read the filter test I posted for you?

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
The only reason I have a K&N (soon to be Airraid) is I can clean it and not buy another filter....
That's pretty much it...

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
i tried out a k+n on my pickup right before my first drive home last june. To see if i could squeeze any more bit of gas mileage out of it. Nothing noticeable. No power increases, ive put about 15k miles on it since. Im gonna pull it and check it this weekend, and if its not freaking dirty, im throwing it away and going oem.

I work in a really dusty enviroment, or rather this whole area is really dusty. If it isnt just totally caked...its not working. ill snap some pics for ya bob

BTW my k+n cost 60.00

Fellro

Staff member
Got a couple pics of the K&N we have on the Cummins, got plenty of dirt on it in not that many miles, but this truck runs in dusty conditions, a prime example of why I would never let the cleaning go as long as the manufacturer says... might have 10,000 miles on it at best

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I run a K&N on my trucks.. just cuz I can wash them out with some dish soap and go.

I dont think I see any ill affects..
And yes I know the PureOne is a Superior filter :)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts