Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

K&N vs OEM Paper Airfilters

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
I thought it would be interesting to do a comparison of the K&N drop in air filter vs the OEM paper air filter:

488964698_Wh4A5-XL.jpg

488965658_Uob5B-XL.jpg

488966733_LifqS-XL.jpg

488964442_u5B8R-XL.jpg

488965234_A6vDr-XL.jpg

Filter media comparison:

488967801_iLhfX-XL.jpg

488968718_yWzuG-XL.jpg

488968780_uydji-XL.jpg

Summary: K&N filter media area = 270 SQ. " OEM Paper media area = 1485 SQ. "

Does more ft^2 make the purolator filter better?

Is the purolator filter OEM? It does not appear to be.

Maybe the paper filter NEEDS the extra surface area to be able to flow enough air. Maybe the KN filter does not need the extra surface area due to the lack of restriction in the filter material.

A comparison of surface area isn't much of a comparison in my opinion.

Just thinking out loud.

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
Does more ft^2 make the purolator filter better?

Is the purolator filter OEM? It does not appear to be.

Maybe the paper filter NEEDS the extra surface area to be able to flow enough air. Maybe the KN filter does not need the extra surface area due to the lack of restriction in the filter material.

A comparison of surface area isn't much of a comparison in my opinion.

Just thinking out loud.

I compared Motorcraft, Purolator, and Fram OEM paper filters, and I didn't see much difference at all in any of them. The K&N, however, had a drastically smaller filter media area. If it is to flow more air, than the OEM paper filter, there is going to be more dirt also. Since the OEM paper filter
isn't the limiting factor for airflow, you could use chicken wire for a filter, and not get any more air flow over the OEM paper filter.

Fellro

Staff member
Not defending the K&N, but it isn't outright an equal comparison, as the oil applied to the filter media is what is to trap the dirt, not the media by itself. The stickyness will catch the dirt, not the fiber material itself. It of course will catch the larger particles, it is the movement through the media that will bump the particles across the oil soaked filter that makes them be caught by the oil. I won't go into which is really better, as I don't really have the answer, haven't done the testing. I am just elaborating that just to compare the media is not an equal test, not apples to apples...

I compared Motorcraft, Purolator, and Fram OEM paper filters, and I didn't see much difference at all in any of them. The K&N, however, had a drastically smaller filter media area. If it is to flow more air, than the OEM paper filter, there is going to be more dirt also. Since the OEM paper filter
isn't the limiting factor for airflow, you could use chicken wire for a filter, and not get any more air flow over the OEM paper filter.

Comparing surface area alone when comparing two completely different materials probably isn't a fair comparison. Thats what I meant. The KN filter is designed to use oil to catch dirt....if not maintained properly then it should work as planned.

In a stock application, I see what you are saying. They don't do much since they are not the bottleneck. But, in project applications where stock equipment wont work, KN (or other aftermarket stuff) has it's place.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I loooooooove comparison threads. I have always been skeptical of using K&N just because I find it hard to believe the improvements they say an air filter can provide. I obviously use round units for the 77 and Bronco...anyone think it's actually worth going for it?

I loooooooove comparison threads. I have always been skeptical of using K&N just because I find it hard to believe the improvements they say an air filter can provide. I obviously use round units for the 77 and Bronco...anyone think it's actually worth going for it?

Probably not, unless you have gotten the motor to draw more CFM than the filter you use now is able to flow.

Fellro

Staff member
I have one on the Cummins, but that is because it came with it, not to mention the filters cost about $30. I clean it a heck of a lot sooner than they say though... it looks like hell in 20,000 miles. Sure does catch a lot, not sure how much would get through though.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Well I use spectre filters theyre basicly a K and N for half the price. Its worked really good so far on the 76 its been in ther for probly 3 or 4 months.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Well I use spectre filters theyre basicly a K and N for half the price. Its worked really good so far on the 76 its been in ther for probly 3 or 4 months.

i keep seein them used on Truck U on speed channel

I just checked out their website, couldn't find a retail price...either of you guys have an idea? I think I paid around $6 for my MotorCraft filter over the summer...If Spectre is a generic brand of K&N and cheap enough, it might be worth a try.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yeah, but tony said his is bigger then your's, and mine is bigger than his, soooo...

I'll leave the rest to everyone's imagination...:wasntme:

No where in this thread was mine brought into comparison...I'll just say it hasn't failed me yet, and it gets the job done.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts