Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

How much would you spend to fix your 9th gen?

Here's a good story for you 9th gen lovers, such as my self.

As many of you know, i work at a Ford dealer. We had a customer bring in a 95 F150, Standard cab, longbed, MAF 5.0 Automatic 4wd.. 78k on it..

Complaint was oil light and a ticking noise.. well the diag of that was oil pump, and needing oil, ticking was a stuck lifter, which eventually freed itself

Some of you know that were required by ford to do a "Multi Point Inspection".. haha can you see whats comming..

Long in the short, heres a list of what we did..

- Upper and lower ball joints
- Front axel U-Joints
- New front rotors
- Both Calipers
- Front Brake Pads
- Rear Brake Drums
- Rear Brake Shoes
- One new hub housing
- Rotor backing Plates
- Oil Pan
- Oil Pump
- Rear Shocks
- New power steering lines
- Patched/Replaced multiple brakelines

Total Parts and Labor SO FAR = $7,000

customer said "anything it needs, do!"

Now thats what I call a die hard Ford lover..

...cant think of anything else right now... it still needs front shocks, plugs, wires, rear spring hangers and shackles.. and a laundry list..

How much would you spend?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Holy smoke! I think I'd spend up to about $1000 less than the value of the truck (at one time). That being said-- I've probably spent about $2500-3000 on my truck in repairs and upgrades since I bought it and it's probably worth $2000 less than when I bought it :rofl2: Damn economy!!

Yeh, id spend a bit too.. but all of us here are mechanicly inclined.. why this guy brought it to a dealer, of all places, with a 1995.. i will never know.. i realllllly hope he brought some vaseline... mind you theres 43 hours of labor.. at ~$100 an hour... $4300 in LABOR..

Whoops! lol didnt even notice that

blacksnapon

Staff member
Needs to moved to Gen. 9 forum.
Nah, needs deleted. Bashing his own dealership. The customer is called prior to any repairs. The customer may have his own reasons for authorizing the repairs.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Huh? How is he bashing the dealership? He was just commenting about how this guy was spending a lot of money to keep an old truck alive...

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Ohh... My interpretation of that comment was that he was just getting screwed out of a bunch of money for a truck that didn't really deserve it... Maybe I was reading it wrong though.

Im not bashing my own dealership..? Vaseline is pretty self explanitory, and Skan was right, truck was repaired for more than its worth. In other words, he just paid through the *** to fix it... thats by far NOT bashing

Could have bought 2 if not 3 of the same truck with 7k..

YES the customer is called pryor to repairs, he said do what it needs up to 7,000 then he wanted to be called for more authorization..

The point of my post to see if any of us would do the same for one of our trucks.. guess ill add a poll.

Guessing you misunderstood me

All I can say is that I'm amazed at what dealers are able to find "wrong" with vehicles... with the described repairs that truck must have come in on a tow truck after being pulled from a field...

Its New England, Trucks rust out very easily here, I helped the tech work on it. Truck was towed in, had no oil pressure. We saved EVERY old part we took off the truck AND showed the guy everything we did on the truck while it was on the lift, so he knows what he just spent money on.

I know dealerships have the reutation to be rip-offs, but I find the dealership I work at to be very fair and very informative to the customer.

To brag a little, the dealership im at York Ford in Saugus, is the largest privately owned company on US-RT 1 From Maine to Florida

Last edited:
bump........

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I know mines not a gen nine but you did post it in my forum. So that being said. I have well over 30K in mine not including the price of the truck. (12K)

thread was never moved lol.

see but your truck is modded and is NASTYYYY (in the good way).. i dont know if id spend more than the value..

figured this is a good convo!

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
On a vehicle I liked, I'd spend whatever it took to make it reliable, up to the cost of replacing it with something I liked better.

I've never understood people who use the present value of their vehicle in deciding whether or not to fix it...doesn't seem a relevant number. Only thing I'm concerned with is making the thing reliable, safe, and road-legal, and keeping it that way...or replacing it with something else that's all those things, and will stay that way.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts