Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

How much is it worth?

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
the 77 looks alot like this except its a bit more beat up and its white

663.jpg

is it just me, or is that a Nazi in the back of that truck? :paranoid:

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
What you are refering to Eric, is an open differential. One wheel wonder. A limited slip, or a posi is a clutch type differential that sends power to both wheels.

To install one, you have to be able to set up the gears in the rear end. It's not hard, but it does take some know how and a couple of specialized tools.

yup he answered it pretty much the way i was going to. but what i did was buy a whole new rear end that was LS to begin with. i replaced everything on the rear end except the gears because they had a good backlash. all the brakes, seals, bearings, clutches and such have been replaced.

ok, heres a question, how can you make a limited slip axle posi? is it a modification? is it expensive? i know this is completely off topic but i want to do it to my lil ranger, lol

"Positraction" is a brand that GM uses for its Limited Slip. Ford does the same thing with "Traction-Loc". :)

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
"Positraction" is a brand that GM uses for its Limited Slip. Ford does the same thing with "Traction-Loc". :)

Yep- but trac-lok isn't available on trucks in the Ford product line, at least as a factory option. My experience with Ford limited slip is that it's usefulness is... well... limited.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
If it's a 4.0 Ranger, the rear end is an 8.8" unless somebody swapped it out.

This seems highly unlikely, since the truck doesn't appear to be heavily modified (requiring an upgraded axle) and if the factory axle was to be replaced with a junkyard one, another Ford 8.8" would be cheap to buy and far and away the easiest to install.

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
and if it is a 8.8 i believe you just might be able to swap in an axle from an explorer that has disc brakes ;)

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
and if it is a 8.8 i believe you just might be able to swap in an axle from an explorer that has disc brakes ;)

Seems to me they are a bit wider and not a direct bolt in.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Seems to me they are a bit wider and not a direct bolt in.

If memory serves...they're a touch wider, and you need to move (cut off and re-weld) the shock mounts.

Whadda ya need rear discs for in a Ranger, anyway?

Trucker_Eric

Mechanically Inclined
i dont need discs, hell, i can live with drums, but i havent even taken off the rear wheels yet to check the brake set up, all i know is rear brakes are a pain in the arse, i hate doing them and chances are im going to be doing them soon.

Yep- but trac-lok isn't available on trucks in the Ford product line, at least as a factory option. My experience with Ford limited slip is that it's usefulness is... well... limited.

It works for me. Its kept my dad an I from getting stuck in snow and mud more than once.

I know Ford just puts "Limited Slip" On the window sticker:

windowsticker.jpg

Ford Truck Articles