Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

How much is it worth?

Trucker_Eric

Mechanically Inclined
ok, i am looking at this truck, and the guy told me to make him an offer, but i have no clue what price to offer. its a 1979 ford f150 explorer, 2wd, supercab, long bed, 351 and aut transmission. it looked like the odometer rolled over but im not sure at all. it says 64k and the guy said the 64k was all original, but it looks otherwise. heres some pics, maybe somebody can help me

it has a major rust hole on the drivers side roof, right near the drip rails, the front grille is bent, there is some surface rust on the bottom of both the cab and bed, and there is rust around the explorer emblem that sticks out of the hood. the brake lines are shot,i think the master cylinder is also, trans lines are new, the engine runs, it needs tires eventually, and the interior roof on the drivers side has mold from water damage. thats all i know about it other than there is some corrosion on the engine, not sure which parts, but the pics explian it.

also, i need some bargaining advice to get this truck cheap, i was going to offer him 200 bucks, but i dont want to insult him or get ripped off either. just some advice for a newbie at truck buying for classics.

1979suprcab1.jpg

1979suprcab10.jpg

1979suprcab11.jpg

1979suprcab12.jpg

1979suprcab2.jpg

1979suprcab3.jpg

1979suprcab4.jpg

1979suprcab5.jpg

1979suprcab6.jpg

1979suprcab7.jpg

1979suprcab8.jpg

1979suprcab9.jpg

1979suprcab.jpg

is there anything i should lookk for other than this?

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
ewww, thats some heavy duty rust, thats going to take a heck of a lot of surgery to fix. me personally, i'd walk away from it..

Trucker_Eric

Mechanically Inclined
so it would be worth very little if anything? the guy said it was his fathers truck and it has sentimental value so idk if he will budge on a cheap price...

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
The engine and trans are well worth 200, and parts for super cabs are hard to find at best, mostly junk yard finds.. There is so much rust hiding under that paint I strongly feel your going to need a whole new cab bed doors fenders and from the look of the best I bet the frame has been eaten through here and there..
Find some thing else, some things are just to far gone to save. But the engine and trans would be all right to pull as well some dash and gauges.. So for a parts truck I would say its a good price..

Trucker_Eric

Mechanically Inclined
ok, well, i might get it cuz i know a guy who can help me with the body work at school and i think it can be a good project for school, like i said im in the auto shop where i have all the tools. i need a project for my senior year but mostly i am looking for an old truck to drive around and not be afraid to beat it up.

$300.00 with the canopy

Trucker_Eric

Mechanically Inclined
and Dan, you have to realize that im 17. i am just looking for the best in this truck not the worse, but i will take the advice you guys give me. my buddy is also selling a rust free, beat to **** 77 f150 custom with a straight six 2wd regular cab. 800 bucks for it, lol

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Im 18 I know where your comin from. But I had to fix my 76 almost nonstop and I got sick of workin on it all the time and pourin money into it and it wouldnt show nothin for it so I dumped it for 800. If I were you id find a truck that some old guy has had on a farm or just used it for huntin trips or rare ocaisions.

That thing has too much rust.You will need to change almost all the sheet metal.Mainly you would have to find another Cab.And like alot has said the frame maybe to far gone in spots.Whick would mean another frame.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
WALK AWAY VERY QUICKLY!!! just keep looking dude. im 18 and my old 82 F100 had quite a few minor problems that would never go away when i would fix them and i traded it and 500 dollars for my Flareside and i've dumped another 1k in my Flareside but the Flareside is worth it. find a vehicle thats solid and not totally rusted.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I live in Maine and that things rusty enough I'd run, not walk, away from it.

In Florida, you can find better for a whole lot less headache, heartache, and expense than it will take to make that thing halfway decent, let alone nice.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
ok, well, i might get it cuz i know a guy who can help me with the body work at school and i think it can be a good project for school, like i said im in the auto shop where i have all the tools. i need a project for my senior year but mostly i am looking for an old truck to drive around and not be afraid to beat it up.

I look at it this way- there's "project," and there's "total restoration." A straight pickup with a few dents and a blown motor is a project. That truck looks more like a total restoration. The difference is about $50,000. Seriously.

Now here's where math comes in. My good friend is restoring a '70 Olds 442 W-30 Convert that started out in about the condition that truck looks to be. He figures the restoration, done right (but with a lot of work done by himself) will run about $50-$60,000. But he's also looking at a potential $75-80,000 car when all's said and done. His last project was a high-option '56 Bel Air convert, that sold in the six-figures.

Bottom line- you can't throw tons of money at something with little or no potential return.

Last edited:

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
and Dan, you have to realize that im 17. i am just looking for the best in this truck not the worse,

Looking for the best not the worst will empty your wallet faster than you would believe.

I look at it this way- there's "project," and there's "total restoration." A straight pickup with a few dents and a blown motor is a project. That truck looks more like a total restoration. The difference is about $50,000. Seriously.

$50k would make it nice. But you're still talking thousands of dollars to make it drivable...if you do ALL the work yourself.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles