Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

How much is it worth?

Trucker_Eric

Mechanically Inclined
the 77 looks alot like this except its a bit more beat up and its white

663.jpg

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Buck... Can I marry your truck?

Nope...sorry I already have dibs on it if for some reason it ever leaves his family.

the 77 looks alot like this except its a bit more beat up and its white

663.jpg

We'd really need to see an actual pic of the new truck in question to help you out...but after going through this thread, the 77 sounds waaaaaaay better. I figure if it's driveable and there aren't any cancer issues, then 800 is a decent price. Of course, you always want to get a better deal for yourself...remember, money talks. If you throw 500 at your buddy, you never know what will happen. I just can't believe that in the area you're in, you can't find a good lookin DD for under a grand. But of the trucks you presented, the 77 is the way to go.

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
hey sorry i didnt see this thread..

along with john112deere i have also beena resident of the northeast for my whole life...i know rust as well :( now for a perfect example to what polarbear is saying, my truck is a project(sometimes feels like a restomod though haha) ive replaced just about EVERYTHING there is to replace. ive rebuilt the motor, the rear axle(posi now), i have a new 5 speed for it, brakes, suspension, electrical, you name it, its been done..:(.

ive also done extensive rust repair on it as well. my drivers side floor, cab corner, and rocker panel was completely gone...it was so rusted it was just a giant hole...so i had to cut it all out, then weld it all back in. the cab is done now but there are a few spots on the bed i need to address...

i guess my opinion of that truck would be to also walk away from it. its definitely not worth it. that cab scares the hell out of me. especially where the rust is, there is no replacement steel panels for that area as opposed to a rocker panel or floor. its going to take some SERIOUS metal fab and body work to make that thing look ok. now i know you want a beater truck and project(i have one right now and like it) but i would walk away from that truck. there are plenty of other ones out there for a few hundred dollars.

Last edited:

Trucker_Eric

Mechanically Inclined
ok, heres a question, how can you make a limited slip axle posi? is it a modification? is it expensive? i know this is completely off topic but i want to do it to my lil ranger, lol

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
woops im wicked sorry!

i didnt mean to say posi, i meant to say limited slip.'smiliedoh'

i bought a bad axle and rebuilt it and it has LS now not posi. my bad:redface:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
What it comes down to is...put a little more into the up front costs, than nickel and diming yourself to an early grave to fix what is essentially a junker...you'll be money ahead in the end.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
ok, heres a question, how can you make a limited slip axle posi? is it a modification? is it expensive? i know this is completely off topic but i want to do it to my lil ranger, lol

that makes no sense. to me it seems your saying you have a LSD and you wanna turn it into a posi system. limited slip is fords version of posi. they work almost the same way the (this is the way i understand it.) rear end notices on wheel is spinning and the other aint and the clutchpacks engage the other wheel.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ

Trucker_Eric

Mechanically Inclined
but limited slip is only one wheel spinning, or maybe i used the wrong term or something. im a lil confused on how you can convert a regular rear end to posi??? idk, maybe im stupid, i have a 98 ranger xlt 4x4, im not sure how the drivetrain is set up but i would like to have it posi so i can burnout with both wheels spinning instead of just one. the only time this happens is when i engage the 4x4 then all 4 wheels spin...

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
What you are refering to Eric, is an open differential. One wheel wonder. A limited slip, or a posi is a clutch type differential that sends power to both wheels.

To install one, you have to be able to set up the gears in the rear end. It's not hard, but it does take some know how and a couple of specialized tools.

Trucker_Eric

Mechanically Inclined
thanks bud, so, does the auto parts store know how to do it, where i can get some advice before buying parts and tools or can you guys tell me whats involved or maybe link me to a tutorial where somebody has already done this modification? thanks

"Pete"

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I've done it quite a few times. Pretty much what it involves is getting the ring and pinion gear to mesh properly after you put the new differential in. A torque wrench is a must, and to do it properly, you should have a dial indicator and some kind of base to attach it to the rear end. Set it to specs with the dial indicator then use the marking compound too check the pattern.

here is some info-
http://www.thedirtforum.com/differential.htm

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Given how abundant Rangers are, I'd price out a complete rear end from a junkyard long before I considered buying a LS (aka, posi) carrier and setting it up (or paying a guy to set it up). If you do this, make absolutely certain that it's got the same axle ratio as you have now. On the other hand, if you've got some from of granny gears like 3.23, you might want to investigate resolving that problem at the same time.

Trucker_Eric

Mechanically Inclined
well, i have a dana 35c im trying to sell, but if i can convert it to locked set up, i will do that. i think the stock axle in my ranger is a dana 30, and i got a 35 laying at my house right now. will it work? and i have acess to all kinds of tools, my school has a full autmotive service shop which i am in... lol

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Think engine size and the axle size will be answered.

4.0 - 8.8"
3.0 - 7.5"

So on that note, if he's got a 3.0 this again would be an excellent time to upgrade. And given how abundant Rangers are, I'd expect to pay the same price for either axle. In fact, if the junkyard tried to upcharge me for the 8.8", I'd keep shopping.

If the guy does get serious about going this road, then a discussion on what to look for while at the junkyard is in order. Nobody wants a worn rear axle with a bunch of backlash.

Ford Truck Articles