Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

How many Excursion owners

will be an official member tomorrow!! long story short, my cousin-in-law got this one off an auction (forestry) and they've owned it since new in 2002, he bought it thinking he'd like a 3/4 ton SUV.......... WRONG....... neither did his insurance, lol......... insurance went up quite a bit for an SUV and a few boo boo's on the driving record..........

SO, having my 4 kids, a reg cab Z71 only serves my purpose from home to work....... well he offered up a trade deal, my 92 Z71 and $2K for his 2002 V10 Excursion, after a weekend of driving it, comparing the pro's and con's......... we're signing the papers in the morning at the DMV!!

i have a F250 V10, lifted, and big tires, gears, headers, trans work ect........ i've loved the V10 since i first drove it, when offered up the chance at a V10 EX, it was hard to not pass it up.

i'm looking forward to being part of the KING of SUV's royal family!! i included a couple pics too.

Attachments

• DSC05683.JPG
  • DSC05681.JPG
well it's OFFICIAL!! i've got the title in hand. we swapped this morning. i know in this world there are "to good to be true" deals......... and second, you never "make a deal" when buying vehicles....... they are depreciating assets.......... but i couldn't pass this up!

he's happy to have an "actual truck" for a work truck, his insurance will feel better, lol, and i'm driving an SUV KING!!

and just MY LUCK gas prices went UP in our area $.10 this morning, lol!

Bloodhound

Oilfield Trash
Jason glad to see you over here.

You will like the Ex. I love my wifes. I want to find another 6.0 ex that isn't as nice. basic truck 4x4. I want to mod the hell out of it for the drag races.

hey man.... you are right........ so far LOVE IT.

rides smooth, drives great, it had / has a few old vehicle quirks (not many), but i've already got most of them fixed up. i already started with a stereo head unit upgrade, a couple of 6x9's, got some door speakers lined up to install, and "might" throw around the idea of a single sub set up............. that's just for starters, LOL!!

next i have some cosmetics on the list......... bug guard, window vents, towing mirrors (cosmetic yet upgrade too), and seat covers, and fog lights behind the billet grill.

then for the project upgrades........ shift kit, y-pipe upgrade, new muffler (i'm justified on this one, old one is rusty on the inlet, lol)...... probably a FM 50 series.......... and last but not least suspension upgrade........BUT that one is way down the line, and both me and my wife agreed that with it being a secondary kid hauler........ nothing over 4"!!

and i hate to say it......... i'm gonna keep the 265/75/16 in it. i like the 4.30 combo with the tires it's got on it! plus when it's time for new tires i have a set of Lariat rims (off my F250) that i'm gonna bolt on it, instead of the chrome XLT's!

the Ex has so many potential upgrades, it can make a guys mind think "impure thoughts", LOL!

Hi Folks,
I'm another Excursion owner. I'm new to the forum so I thought I'd dig into the Excursion posts. I've had it for almost 8 years. She's got 175,000 miles on her now. It gives me the best of both worlds; a stationwagon and a truck. It's a Ltd 4x4 w/ 7.3l

Mods:
Banks Big Hoss Bundle with GTP38R turbo
4.56 gears with Rr locker and Fr posi
6" ProComp lift Fr/4" ProComp lift Rr
37x12.5x17 Goodyear MT-Rs
Dynatrac free spin front hub conversion for manual hubs and regular bearings
Banks Exhaust Brake w/ 4" downtube and exhaust
Banks lockup billet torque converter
Con-Ferr 5x7 rack with Jerry cans and spare
Warn winch bumper w/ M15000 winch and Warn driving lights
Firestone rr airbags
ORU ladderbars
ProComp MX-6 shocks with double shocks up front
Freightliner horn and reserve airtank

Canyonaro

One Amazing Rack
00 5.4 Limited over 125,000

ust stock. Nothing unique, all stock except for some deer hide in the front end.

KCAutosound

Charter Member
Well my 01 is all brand new underneith now. Just dropped $1725 on ball joints, Skyjacker Nitro shocks and stabalizer, new front hubs, bearings, brakes all the way around, tie rods, alignment, a couple coil replacements on the engine. I'm sure I'm forgetting something. Rides so nice now. Damn shaking steering wheel was driving me nuts.

KCAutosound

Charter Member
Way to go KC...sounds like ya really gave it a tuneup it needed. How many miles when you did it?

146,000 miles. I'm very neglectful to my vehicles when it comes to running gear. I try to stay up on the oil changes but when it comes to the rest I'm pretty bad...lol I never knew how much of a difference new shocks and ball joints help.

Canyonaro

One Amazing Rack
KC sounds like I need to just copy and paste your list and give it to auto shop and say "This is what I need" because seriously that is what all I need done. I am surprised I have not been pulled for drunk driving the way the ex is wandering.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I was reading on a 4x4 site about how sucky Exy's handle while towing, according to the owners, and they said it was night and day once they installed Traction/ladder bars to their rigs..
I got this link form the place..
http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/tractionbars.htm
maybe it can help some body out :D

Canyonaro

One Amazing Rack
I have hauled horses with mine since day 2 of ownership. I have always loved how it towed. Then one day I towed with a friends ex who had his suspension beefed with helwig etc and holy chyt batman it was unbelievable. Being single momma I was/am on severe limited funds so things haven't happened the way I want but now with girls gone its a bit easier. So once my immediate list is complete there are going to be some changes to the ex.
I cant use the 59 to tow trailer and the horses so will have to hold on to ex for that purpose alone.
Wait till you see my drawing to turn ex into a pick up of sorts..mwahahahaha! I will dominate the WTF is that vehicle market.

I was reading on a 4x4 site about how sucky Exy's handle while towing, according to the owners, and they said it was night and day once they installed Traction/ladder bars to their rigs..
I got this link form the place..
http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/tractionbars.htm
maybe it can help some body out :D

Tex, this is true in my experience. The tail wags a little bit in factory trim due to all that glass weight and the 45 fuel tank in the back, but the ladder bars help that quite a bit and actually made my truck ride quieter when I put them on. I modified some ORU SuperDuty ladder bars for mine, cause there wasn't another option at the time.

New X owner

Just picked up a 2000 Limited 4x4 last weekend. V-10, 4.30 gears, pretty clean all around. The front end rattles like the shocks are junk, and it needs a wheel bearing in the front. The power door actuators are all shot, and the brakes squeek a little. Nothing a little TLC can't fix. Love the truck, power from the 6.8 is pretty impressive.

Attachments

• green3.jpg

Ford Truck Articles