Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

HELP REQUESTED: Battery or Alternator? Something else?

460Trucker

Has the Cat Scratch Fever
I always like to have a contingency plan. I’ve been thinking about doing something like this project truck.
http://www.fourwheeler.com/projectbuild/129_0401_1992_ford_f150_electrical_upgrade/
With a dual battery setup like this, you should have more than enough reserve battery power! I also have been looking at adding a battery charger under the hood that is connected to the block heater cord. This way I not only have a warmed engine block but also a fully charged battery in the early morning.

That's neat and definitely something to look into trying. Thanks for posting!

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Any changes on the way the truck is acting?

460Trucker

Any changes on the way the truck is acting?

It's back to normal now and running smooth as can be. Like I said earlier though, going to have to monitor it very closely.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
To add to what Roy said..also give your battery terminals a clean with a battery terminal brush and check the cables for the connection to the terminal....not corroded or loose.

460Trucker

If there is some corrosion on the cables, how would you recommend cleaning that?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
If there is some corrosion on the cables, how would you recommend cleaning that?

You can try taking a small brass wire brush to clean it off...but if the corrosion goes into the terminal and/or down the cable it is generally an indicator that the cable should be replaced. If you replace it the proper molded cable, you can slide a piece of thick wall heatshrink over where the cable joins the battery clamp and at the other end where the lug is, that will prevent moisture intrusion between the insulation and conductor.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Copper/brass brush and some battery terminal cleaner. It'd also benefit you to spray a protectant on there after everything's clean. You can pick the stuff up at the parts store.

460Trucker

Awesome, I have some copper brush in my gun cleaning kit :D

460Trucker

Oh silly me, thank you Roy! I found "Shout At The Devil" and "Look What The Cat Dragged In" :wavey:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts