Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

HELP REQUESTED: Battery or Alternator? Something else?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Am I going to have to pull apart some my wiring projects even if I just replace it with a stock alternator? Or even just a higher grade battery?

No.....higher capacity battery will just give you more CCA and higher reserve...the alternator replacement has no bearing either...all is good...YelloThumbUp

460Trucker

Has the Cat Scratch Fever
No.....higher capacity battery will just give you more CCA and higher reserve...the alternator replacement has no bearing either...all is good...YelloThumbUp

That's a relief! I'm learning things every day :wavey:
Thanks Duncan, I'll need all the CCA I can get living in New England...some CCR is always nice too :D

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
CCA is cold cranking amps...given at 32F....freezing of water....other capacities are given at other temps.
There isn't a CCR...it's simply a reserve capacity that is a current given depending on the battery size and construction
When you get into deep cycle batteries, it's a bit different.

460Trucker

CCA is cold cranking amps...given at 32F....freezing of water....other capacities are given at other temps.
There isn't a CCR...it's simply a reserve capacity that is a current given depending on the battery size and construction
When you get into deep cycle batteries, it's a bit different.

I was making a joke on the band :rofl:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I'm old...I miss a lot of stuff like that....:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :beer:

460Trucker

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :beer:
It's all good!

460Trucker

I will be having everything looked at tomorrow morning. I hope it's only the battery, but better safe than sorry YelloThumbUp

460Trucker

yes, I'm thinking it's only the battery. When you have on the headlights, are the lights dim? then when you give it gas they brighten? I'm talking about a noticeable difference, not slight.

Nope, all the lighting was perfect, even my grill and running board lights were just fine. In that case, I guess we are probably looking at some bad cells.

460Trucker

Too busy today, the truck will be going in tomorrow morning.

460Trucker

Alrighty here's the scoop:

Battery and alternator test positive. The family mechanic said that the Ford battery works like a computer and needed to basically be re-booted by driving around (its a short drive to my school so driving home after sitting for a week in the New England cold didn't do much).

Nothing new needed, it drove home from the shop just fine seeing as the weather has been a little warmer and its been driven. Lesson learned, dont let your vehicle sit in the cold. :headbang:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Ermmm..no disrespect to your family mechanic...but a battery is a battery regardless of whether it is a Ford or anything else.
If your battery is dying like that, it is either on it's way out or you have something, somewhere continually taking power off it...and if that is the case, then it is probably on it's way out.

460Trucker

Ermmm..no disrespect to your family mechanic...but a battery is a battery regardless of whether it is a Ford or anything else.
If your battery is dying like that, it is either on it's way out or you have something, somewhere continually taking power off it...and if that is the case, then it is probably on it's way out.

No worries Duncan, I like hearing as many opinions as possible to try and figure things out. YelloThumbUp I will have to keep an eye on it then.

I agree with Duncan on this one. Sounds like a lose plate in the battery shorting out then moving when run. Had a few batteries die that way.

Good to know, I will monitor it. It is an older battery so it's probably on it's last legs.

Never heard that before for a battery, computer yes, but not battery. Many people have changed their batteries to non Ford, I agree with Duncan and Randy.

I may just end up buying a new one and replacing it myself in the coming weeks. I've never done that before but I imagine it's just disconnecting the posts, taking the old one out, and putting the new one in and reconnecting the posts?

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
Hi Mike, first remove the negative battery clamp from the post, making sure your wrench does not touch any metal on the truck body. Then remove the positive clamp from the post, do this in this order to reduce the "chance" of sparks that could pose a hazard! When you drop in the new battery, hook up the positive clamp first, then the negative.

I always like to have a contingency plan. I’ve been thinking about doing something like this project truck.
http://www.fourwheeler.com/projectbuild/129_0401_1992_ford_f150_electrical_upgrade/
With a dual battery setup like this, you should have more than enough reserve battery power! I also have been looking at adding a battery charger under the hood that is connected to the block heater cord. This way I not only have a warmed engine block but also a fully charged battery in the early morning.

460Trucker

Sounds easy as can be! Thanks for the how-to Roy! Rep comin' your way

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts