Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

HELP REQUESTED: Battery or Alternator? Something else?

460Trucker

Has the Cat Scratch Fever
Evening guys,

I needed a jumpstart to get home from school yesterday evening. When I tried to start, the battery light came on so I thought it would just be that. However, on each attempt, the engine (7.5 460 V8) sounded like it wanted to turn over and at the last second with some gas it would turn over. Then it would go to a rough idle and die again. I ended up revving the engine after getting it started again and made it home (thank God).

I go out to start it this morning and same story, needed a jump box. Died at the bottom of my driveway. Started it back up with some gas and made it back up to the house.

I'm getting a new battery, but could the alternator be the issue? It's got enough juice to start and get the lights on but then it just quits after a rough idle.

Thanks everyone! smilieFordlogo

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I would go through the whole primary wiring....check the connections and cables.
Cables can look OK but be heavily corroded inside due to capillary action of moisture (it creeps between the copper, insulation and connector)
Take the alternator in to be tested...I'm pretty sure autoparts stores can do that.

Last edited:

460Trucker

I would go through the whole primary wiring....check the connections and cables.
Cables can look OK but be heavily corroded inside to to capillary action of moisture (it creeps between the copper, insulation and connector)
Take the alternator in to be tested...I'm pretty sure autoparts stores can do that.

The battery cables appear to have some slight corrosion on the exposed ends. It is an older battery as well Thanks for the help again Duncan, very much appreciated!
I will be taking it into my dad's local mechanic on Monday to test both the alternator and the battery... I'm due for an oil change in a few hundred miles anyway

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Anytime..hope you get it fixed easily.

460Trucker

This should be easy to figure out if you have a means of measuring the voltage. I don't trust the guage on the dash and use a digital multimeter. With this you should be able to check and measure the standing, starting and charging voltage. With your statement that the battery is older, my first thought is to try a different battery. I've used good jumper cables to connect a known good battery after disconnecting the battery in the battery tray. With a meter, you will be able to check the charging voltage after starting the engine. Voltage should be above 13 VDC while charging.

A bad battery will 'suck' the charging voltage down and cause all kinds of strange things. I'm going to put my money on a bad battery.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Charging voltage should be 14.4 above 1000 rpm. Anything below will not charge a battery properly.

460Trucker

This should be easy to figure out if you have a means of measuring the voltage. I don't trust the guage on the dash and use a digital multimeter. With this you should be able to check and measure the standing, starting and charging voltage. With your statement that the battery is older, my first thought is to try a different battery. I've used good jumper cables to connect a known good battery after disconnecting the battery in the battery tray. With a meter, you will be able to check the charging voltage after starting the engine. Voltage should be above 13 VDC while charging.

A bad battery will 'suck' the charging voltage down and cause all kinds of strange things. I'm going to put my money on a bad battery.

Great info here. Thank you very much Sir! smilieFordlogo

dam things gone Wild??

are you getting a new battery and cables Mike?

Bam-a-lam!

I'm definitely getting a new battery, the most heavy duty one I can get. Any recommendations guys?

Charging voltage should be 14.4 above 1000 rpm. Anything below will not charge a battery properly.

I may do this myself in addition to the mechanic, I think we have a meter somewhere.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Most standard starting batteries are the same, unless you want to drop the coin for a Concorde or Deka, I would just look for the correct size and buy one that has the best combo of price/replacement warranty.
Flooded lead acid starting batteries are all of a similar construction regardless of make.

We have a Sam's Club close by. It had the best battery for the buck. I think that it was an Energizer brand.

460Trucker

Good to know guys YelloThumbUp
I'll look into the brands you've both mentioned, I'm willing to spend some of my Christmas dough for a good heavy duty battery.

460Trucker

Sorry Mike, had to go for a bit. I went to Napa and told them the specs on my truck and they hooked me up with the proper battery for cold cranking amps and reserve. Found them to be the best, good warranty too.

side note: my truck had a car battery when I bought it!

No problem, good to know! We have a Napa in the next town over.
If you don't mind me asking, is the battery...Orange perhaps? smilietease

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
O'reilly's carries their Super Start brand.. it's made by East Penn... same company that makes the Deka's that Duncan Suggested..

either there or go to the Ford Dealership.. Motorcraft... GREAT WARRANTY... and same price maybe just a lil more than any parts store..

460Trucker

If it does turn out to be a bad alternator and bad battery, what would be a ballpark cost for all this (assuming I will be grabbing a high grade battery)?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Most of his lights are LED...and you can't just go upgrading the alternator without checking out the wiring to make sure it can handle the extra current.

460Trucker

Most of his lights are LED...and you can't just go upgrading the alternator without checking out the wiring to make sure it can handle the extra current.

Am I going to have to pull apart some my wiring projects even if I just replace it with a stock alternator? Or even just a higher grade battery?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts