Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Headers

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Those Stage 8 bolts are the ones I was talking about.

The hemisphere part of the tabs you install keep the bolt from backing out. The flat part of the bolt will nudge up against the exhaust tube and stop after about 1/16th of a turn, MAX.

I installed them on my 351w and they never once created an exhaust leak after about 15,000 miles of driving. I'm doing an engine pull right now. If I remember, I'll try to take a picture to demonstrate how they work.

Ryan

Thanks Ryan that will help a lot.

primetime

sawmill slave
A 351 long tube header will hang about 1" lower in the chassis due to the taller deck height of the 351. Otherwise they are the same.

I`ve always had good luck just retightning the bolts a few times. I generally
use Mr Gasket gaskets or the ones that come with the headers, although I like to give them a shot of red silicone to help them out.

Something that helps on the collector end of long tubes is to use a diamond shaped GM style gasket with red silicone instead of paper. It worked real well, and I don`t think the exhaust shop in town does it any other way now.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
A 351 long tube header will hang about 1" lower in the chassis due to the taller deck height of the 351. Otherwise they are the same.

I`ve always had good luck just retightning the bolts a few times. I generally
use Mr Gasket gaskets or the ones that come with the headers, although I like to give them a shot of red silicone to help them out.

Something that helps on the collector end of long tubes is to use a diamond shaped GM style gasket with red silicone instead of paper. It worked real well, and I don`t think the exhaust shop in town does it any other way now.

Thanks for the tip.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
To give you a better idea, I actually took a photo by chance when working today.

IMG_1748.jpg

I used the wrong word up top.

First you put in the bolt. Then you put on the hemisphere style washer, then you put an e-clip over the washer to hold it on. The flat side of the washer will bump up against the header tube so it can't back out. I hope you can see it here. It's worth every penny.

Ryan

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
To give you a better idea, I actually took a photo by chance when working today.

IMG_1748.jpg

I used the wrong word up top.

First you put in the bolt. Then you put on the hemisphere style washer, then you put an e-clip over the washer to hold it on. The flat side of the washer will bump up against the header tube so it can't back out. I hope you can see it here. It's worth every penny.

Ryan

How many bolts did it take?

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
FYI Here is how i handle this issue with header bolts,first i use two header gaskets per side,then i use the round allen type bolts if applicable as much as possible.put lock tight on the threads and tighten them down,warm up the engine & re tork the bolts.they wont back out.on hex head bolts use the locktite as well,re tork after warmup & you should be good to go.another thing make sure your exhaust systems are held up by universal hangers & not the headers,exhaust system weight on the headers will make them back out as well cause it will flex while driving.bolt on header mufflers also cause loose bolts i dont recommend their use,always run a dual setup at least to the front of the rear tires and exit at the sides not under the vehicle.

Last edited:

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
FYI Here is how i handle this issue with header bolts,first i use two header gaskets per side,then i use the round allen type bolts if applicable as much as possible.put lock tight on the threads and tighten them down,warm up the engine & re tork the bolts.they wont back out.on hex head bolts use the locktite as well,re tork after warmup & you should be good to go.another thing make sure your exhaust systems are held up by universal hangers & not the headers,exhaust system weight on the headers will make them back out as well cause it will flex while driving.bolt on header mufflers also cause loose bolts i dont recommend their use,always run a dual setup at least to the front of the rear tires and exit at the sides not under the vehicle.

Great Advice, Thank you.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Here's a better view of the stage 8 bolts to give you an idea of what's going on.

First you put in the bolt, then you place over it the D shaped washer. You put the flat part of the D shaped washer over closest to the header pipe. The washer's center is the same shape & size of the bolt head. After that, you retain the D shaped washer by placing an E clip in the groove of the bolt head directly in front of the washer. It can only back out as far as it will turn and make contact with the header pipe, a tiny fraction of a turn.

I wouldn't even use copper gaskets. I'd use a nice rubber/silicon gasket.

IMG_1778.jpg

Ryan

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Is the header leaking? Looks like carbon on the spark plug.

FYI Here is how i handle this issue with header bolts...
{Loctite}
But ain't Loctite softened/loosened by heat? LOL :)
Is there a Loctite out there that isn't effected by >800*F?
(stuff begins to glow in the dark at 750F)
(I use that information to draw the temper on springs)

-----------------------

I put pocket knife springs and blades on a 3/32" stainless
steel rod and bring the parts up to ~1500*F but the rod
gets a good 200*F hotter than that and the rod doesn't
sag a bit! A coat hanger wire will bend down under its own
friggin weight at 1200*F.

What I'm thinking is stainless steel flanges with the bolts
Ryan is using would be your best bet for minimum leaks? :)

Springs aren't supposed to break...
springtest.jpg

Alvin in AZ

Last edited:

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
No Alvin I have never had them back out on me..but that is me. and i have installed many sets over the yrs.2 gaskets per side & properly hung exhaust systems do help as well.let me correct my self my first set came loose then i learned..lol

Last edited:

Fellro

Staff member
Is the header leaking? Looks like carbon on the spark plug.

That was from the wire to the boot, called carbon tracking. No carbon anywhere else. A new set of wires and some boot grease will take care of that. Or if you are a cheap arse like me, the boot grease actually hinders the tendency to carbon track, even on old wires.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts