Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Headers

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
I came across a deal on headers and they fit my body style truck. I need to know if 351W headers will work on a 302?

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
When I had headers on my truck it was the biggest mistake I ever did. I spent more time changing gaskets and tightening bolts than I ever imagined. I was thrilled to go back to manifolds. Make sure you get headers with really thick flanges.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Headers are great, you just have to do them right. Thick flanges do help, but you need to buy the bolt kits that won't let the bolts back out, they can run about 50 bucks for a set on a V8.

But yes, 302 headers will work on the 351.

Ryan

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
When I had headers on my truck it was the biggest mistake I ever did. I spent more time changing gaskets and tightening bolts than I ever imagined. I was thrilled to go back to manifolds. Make sure you get headers with really thick flanges.

I know but this truck is my toy.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Headers are great, you just have to do them right. Thick flanges do help, but you need to buy the bolt kits that won't let the bolts back out, they can run about 50 bucks for a set on a V8.

Ryan

They are 351W headers that I want to put on my 302. So will it work ok?

Ryan

If they won't back out , how do you get'em out if you want to change back to stock manifolds.??

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I think he means the kits that have locking tabs you hammer down. If not then you have to be a die hard header fan if you never want to switch back to manifolds lol.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Is it easier to just re-torque the bolts? It wouldn't bother me, lots of room to access the bolts.

I was doing it on a weekly basis on my truck. It got old real quick. I went back to manifolds and been driving around for 2 years and haven't checked a bolt since the day I put them on :rolling laugh:

I was doing it on a weekly basis on my truck. It got old real quick. I went back to manifolds and been driving around for 2 years and haven't checked a bolt since the day I put them on :rolling laugh:

that's the interesting thing, I've heard so many different takes on the bolts to fasten the headers. Some say they only need to re-torque after X miles, and others say the gaskets make all the difference and they only torque once.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
How would you know? :rolling laugh: Thought you couldn't find the truck.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Those Stage 8 bolts are the ones I was talking about.

The hemisphere part of the tabs you install keep the bolt from backing out. The flat part of the bolt will nudge up against the exhaust tube and stop after about 1/16th of a turn, MAX.

I installed them on my 351w and they never once created an exhaust leak after about 15,000 miles of driving. I'm doing an engine pull right now. If I remember, I'll try to take a picture to demonstrate how they work.

Ryan

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts