Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

General Dentside Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
here is a pic of my chopped 78 f150
img040.jpg

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
WTH josh...that was a let down, I was expecting a driver. It's not funny toying with a gear head's emotions.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
That is pretty sweet Lee. Wish it woulda been all Ford instead of the GM bed and rear end. I'm not a fan of them either, but if it were me...it woulda been a styleside bed and black.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Theres a set of axles here that a guys sellin for cheap he says that theyre both d60s the front is closed knuckle lp. Will it have the casting numbers like the 44 like normal so I can be sure?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Theres a set of axles here that a guys sellin for cheap he says that theyre both d60s the front is closed knuckle lp. Will it have the casting numbers like the 44 like normal so I can be sure?

It should...that would be the same front axle Red has...so I believe that would be an early '77 D60 front.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
It says out of a 67 highboy and they have drums all around. It also says lockers in both of em and they were built for diggin climbin thats exactly what the ad says.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Oh gotcha...I was thinkin disc brakes. I'd say go for it...what's the price? It'll be a slight strength upgrade from the 44, but nowhere near the axle of a HP D60.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
He says 600 for both so dad says hell call the guy this weekend and talk to him about em. Ill be at moms this weekend or I would talk to him. I also dont think that the front end on the 72 is a 44 HD like I thought it was. It dont have the big hubs like the 76 and the parts on it all match up with the 3300 pound axle.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
He says 600 for both so dad says hell call the guy this weekend and talk to him about em. Ill be at moms this weekend or I would talk to him. I also dont think that the front end on the 72 is a 44 HD like I thought it was. It dont have the big hubs like the 76 and the parts on it all match up with the 3300 pound axle.

WOW...$600 for both. That seems pretty steep to me. In my area at least, a rear D60 can be had for $100-200. And there's nothing special about LP D60 with drums...and can usually be had in the $150-300 range aound here. Dunno how things are in your area...but I'd at least try talking him down to no more than $500. I'd try to get it down to the $400-450 region...less if the axles need any rebuilding.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Yeah them are theres not too many 60s here period that aint been chopped down for rock crawlers. I did see a set of 60s with the HP and another truck that had em in it still but they were way out there on the price. If we decide to get em ill have to take a look at em and see what kinda shape theyre in. He said that they both have lockers but from the pics he put in the ad I cant see andy switches or lines goin into the axles. Maybe he put them cheapo ones in that dont need a switch or nothin.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I've heard that a HD44 open knuckle with disc brakes is better than a LP60 closed knuckle with drums even for the strength side of things. Is there any truth to that?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I've heard that a HD44 open knuckle with disc brakes is better than a LP60 closed knuckle with drums even for the strength side of things. Is there any truth to that?

IMO...it's pretty much a wash, what you gain in strength with the LPD60 (mine actually has discs)...the HD D44 makes up for in pinion angle and spindle count.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
If a good deal came up with a LPD60 though, I think I'd probably take it though.

Definitely...if you're not wheeling the rig they go in...they're a perfectly fine axle. There's nothing wrong with them. As a matter of fact, my actual axle stayed in tact when I was in my wreck...it just got got ripped out from under my truck.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
IMO...it's pretty much a wash, what you gain in strength with the LPD60 (mine actually has discs)...the HD D44 makes up for in pinion angle and spindle count.

I think you mean SPLINE Ben, most axles I've seen only have 2 spindles. :hammer: :)

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
kinda sorta off topic, if it causes to much problems move it or delete it....
has any one seen or know of a dentside van for sale? all links or what evs can go straight to my pm box if you may to keep this post some what clean, im looking for a strong runner that i can use as a work van

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Naw I sure don't...I don't see many vans older than the 90's...any particular reason you're looking for a 70's van????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ford Truck Articles