Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

front clip 80 f150

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
I'm not saying it can't be fixed, but he just needs to be aware that his frame is a different breed and strange things do happen with them. I agree, where he hit should have only bent the bumper and brought the rails inward, but these frames are weak under certain circumstances, so it would not surprise me if it did more damage than it would have on other frames. Plus, we still don't know why his door is stuck shut, when all he did was hit a tree. The door refusing to open can be a direct result of frame/cab flex below the cab. I don't believe in giving anybody false hope, it just makes things much easier to deal with in the end.

As quoted from a thread over at Eff Tee Eee,

"The swiss chess frames tend to buckle right behind the cab in severe head on or rear end crashes. "

His probably hasn't buckled, but it could have easily flexed enough to cause all kinds of issues. Yea, all frames can cause issues when they bend, but the swiss cheese frames are a little harder to get back in order. There's a reason Ford went back to the non-swiss cheese frame in mid year 1981.

Last edited:

Fellro

Staff member
On the doors, my expectation is that the fenders got pushed back just a little to where they catch on the front edge of the door, preventing it from opening. See it all the time in deer hits and minor fender benders. Most people end up crinkling the fender with the door by forcing it open, Even if the frame was bent, it would have to twist the cab pretty hard to bind the doors.

tedrow42

Missouri Chapter member
the door is wrincled inb the front and it can be moved it just won't latch and opens some not all the way not shure what the deal is I got 6 more weeks left on this tow boat then I'm takin it to a shop

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts