Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

front clip 80 f150

tedrow42

Missouri Chapter member
I hit a tree and it tore up the hood pas door grill and pushed the right fender back. I got a full front clip but the fenders on the truck now have less dents and scratches. Is there a way 2 pull the fender back 2 where its sposta b with out tearing every thing up or should I just change the whole thing?

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
I'm fighting with a similar problem on my '87 Suburban... It had an unfortunate run in with a telephone pole 2 winters ago...

It depends, as randy said, on how tweaked the whole thing is... I'm replacing my radiator support, fenders and all.

It may be easier to fix the dents and scratches on the replacement fenders rather than fix the ones that are on the truck...

tedrow42

Missouri Chapter member
Well the radiator suport is done 4 and the fender is pushed back just enough 2 catch the door and maby down a hair but I don't know where I can pull on it to straiten it out... I'm new 2 all this

tedrow42

Missouri Chapter member
1da3d609-130c-41b5-ab59-2568b1047940.jpg

The door is stuck like that

9b759483-01e1-4a06-a6b8-2f9345549303.jpg

Driver side is good

5db6b8bb-77f3-452b-b0dc-7a7650753aff.jpg

Hope this works first time usin photobucket

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Wow you dead centered that bad boy.
You most likely tweaked the frame with that hit.
You need to replace the front clip,radiator support and have the frame checked out.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
The fenders should be able to be saved at least the drivers side. the passenger could be but once stuff is straightened out it may be hard to get the mounting tabs to line up but should be able to be saved.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Randy nailed it... Replace it all and hope the frame isn't out too bad...

The drivers side with a little coaxing and some shims, should be able to be put in place again...

tedrow42

Missouri Chapter member
Ok thanks 4 the help I gota start takin it apart 2 tell how its bolted on I founs a shop 2 look at the frame he said he can straiten it cheep do the fenders unbolt from the weel wells? The clip I got is one piece

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Yes it all unbolts. Should be 4 bolts on top of the fender,afew you can access on the rear section with the door open. The inner fender is held by screws on the arch lip of the fender. Once you start you see them and it will be straight forward as to how to remove them.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
I have very bad news for you. 1980-1981 trucks had what is known as the "swiss cheese" frames. Basically, Ford cut a bunch of holes throughout the frame to try and save weight and increase fuel efficiency. It was a flop though, and made for a very weak frame in collisions. They are very prone to bending right around the cab, which could very well explain why your door is stuck. Still have the frame checked out, but be ready to look for a new frame.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
The guy I called said he can straiten it, is it worth it?

Chances are, he's probably not familiar with the swiss cheese frame.

Straightening a swiss cheese frame is like bending the frame pieces of an Erector set, and then trying to bend them back to a perfectly flat shape. It's very hard, and on a swiss cheese frame, it's very likely that the frame will never be perfect. Of course, you could still use the frame, but you may find that the truck may gain very minor alignment issues that will cause your tires to wear a little faster. You may also face the possibility of cracks in the frame, especially on a rusty truck. And not to mention the decrease in strength of that side of the frame.

Fellro

Staff member
That kind of problem is true of any frame job. Have the frame shop check it out before you make any decisions, there isn't a real good way to know how bad things are until properly checked.With where the hit is, it could possibly be less of an issue. For the most part, it may have brought the frame rails inward, which only affects the bumper mounting. If there is bending after the cross member, that is where the trouble begins. Had it been a side slide, there is more concern than a direct center front hit. Still be a good idea to have it checked out.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts