Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Ford vs GM rivalry?

The other day while I was driving through town a guy passed on my left going the same direction. He had a beautiful '71 Chevy short bed and it was obvious that he had spent a fortune restoring it and rodding it out. My '73 F100 is fairly original but pretty clean. I gave him a friendly thumbs up as he went by showing my appreciation for his classic machine as a fellow classic owner. He looked at me and didn't even acknowledge my gesture. Is there a rivalry between Ford and GM? Should I just expect this attitude even though we were both in "classic" rides? Hmmmmm....

Donald.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
yup there is a rivalry.. but tbh usually the classic owners are more friendlier than that. Could be he was having a hard day, or was just being a jerk all together. I wouldnt take it personally.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I agree, most guys are willing to admire the work and patience of a restoration even if it's not their brand. For most guys, it's in good fun.

Except Camaro guys. Never talk to Camaro guys.

Ryan

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
I agree, most guys are willing to admire the work and patience of a restoration even if it's not their brand. For most guys, it's in good fun.

Except Camaro guys. Never talk to Camaro guys.

Ryan

smilieIagree.. dodge owners regardless of the vehicle arent much better than the camaro owners. especially the cummins owners.. their "we can beat anything" attitude gets on my nerves..

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
MOST classic owners I know appreciate a classic or old steel regardless of make/model.....I've gotten solid compliments on my rigs from long time Ford haters and visa versa......I could hate GM and all the crap it's ever stood for, but I'll always appreciate a nice old chevy classic for sure!

Sounds like the guy was just being a jerk for whatever reason.

Sent from my SM-N915R4 using Tapatalk

cars and trucks are funny so many types of people take part for so many reasons. at the end of the day the older the person the more easy going they will be. it seems for a lot of the younger crowd it all about flexing muscle (diesel trucks) rich kids showing off (new tuner and muscle crowd). for the rest of us we do it for fun.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I wouldn't worry about him, he probably wrote a check to get his purddy truck

You'll find most of the butt holes that act like that have no clue, just pay and go

( I've built a bunch of trucks for those guys, and LOVE spending their money! )

Jasperrc

Texas Chapter member
The other day while I was driving through town a guy passed on my left going the same direction. He had a beautiful '71 Chevy short bed and it was obvious that he had spent a fortune restoring it and rodding it out. My '73 F100 is fairly original but pretty clean. I gave him a friendly thumbs up as he went by showing my appreciation for his classic machine as a fellow classic owner. He looked at me and didn't even acknowledge my gesture. Is there a rivalry between Ford and GM? Should I just expect this attitude even though we were both in "classic" rides? Hmmmmm....

Donald.

My suspicion in that he was jealous that your Ford was in such good original shape and his bowtie had to be redone to make it worth anything:guns:

Just kidding, like everyone else said, there is a rivalry but it's mostly in fun. My brother in law and I have been arguing about which is better since the 80s. And in the next breath we are admiring each others vehicles. Our wives just roll there eyes "here they go again":)

In my opinion, if it has lasted this long, it was a good vehicle or had a real car guy looking after it and I respect both.

I am also a Jeep owner. Several times over as a matter of fact. When I was driving an early Jeep it was pretty common to have other Jeep drivers wave. Not to long ago we bought a newer Wrangler with four doors. It was funny, how some would wave and others not. The girly jeeps would rarely wave. I saw one "hard core" JK nearly every morning when I worked day shift. I waved he didn't I laughed. After a couple days of this I started flipping him off while smiling. He somehow managed to see that and returned the bird. This went on for weeks.

One morning I'm in the Cj2a, it's more his bag, full cage, winch, racing seats, fuel cell,etc. He waved, I smiled and flipped him a bird.

He followed me into the parking lot one day when I was in the 2a, and pulled in beside me and wanted to talk. He was a little surprised the same guy who sometimes drove the new "wanna-be" was also the guy with a totally custom one. He did find it funny when I told him about my personal en-devour.

There a LOT of Cummins owners suffering from TDS. It shows, and it's worse than just about any other.

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
I am also a Jeep owner. Several times over as a matter of fact. When I was driving an early Jeep it was pretty common to have other Jeep drivers wave. Not to long ago we bought a newer Wrangler with four doors. It was funny, how some would wave and others not. The girly jeeps would rarely wave. I saw one "hard core" JK nearly every morning when I worked day shift. I waved he didn't I laughed. After a couple days of this I started flipping him off while smiling. He somehow managed to see that and returned the bird. This went on for weeks.

One morning I'm in the Cj2a, it's more his bag, full cage, winch, racing seats, fuel cell,etc. He waved, I smiled and flipped him a bird.

He followed me into the parking lot one day when I was in the 2a, and pulled in beside me and wanted to talk. He was a little surprised the same guy who sometimes drove the new "wanna-be" was also the guy with a totally custom one. He did find it funny when I told him about my personal en-devour.

There a LOT of Cummins owners suffering from TDS. It shows, and it's worse than just about any other.

That's the problem with the new Jeeps, they don't have the classic "Jeep Wink" YelloThumbUp

Thanks guys for the replies. I will admit that his tricked out Chevy ride was really nice. Unlike mine that would make a great original farm truck :))), his looked like it could hold it's own in a quarter mile! I looked at a 1971 Chevy pickup before I went for the one I have. He wanted $4000 firm and it even had a rotted out bed, torn bench seat, rocker panel rot, no front turn signals, etc....
But I am sure some guy will buy it because it is a bowtie.
But I am surprised at how many Ford truck owners wave and even stop to talk trucks. It feels good to know I made the right choice when I bought my dent!!

Donald

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
Thanks guys for the replies. I will admit that his tricked out Chevy ride was really nice. Unlike mine that would make a great original farm truck :))), his looked like it could hold it's own in a quarter mile! I looked at a 1971 Chevy pickup before I went for the one I have. He wanted $4000 firm and it even had a rotted out bed, torn bench seat, rocker panel rot, no front turn signals, etc....
But I am sure some guy will buy it because it is a bowtie.
But I am surprised at how many Ford truck owners wave and even stop to talk trucks. It feels good to know I made the right choice when I bought my dent!!

Donald

It gets better when you add roof cab lights....:D

lol

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Here's my take...when you have one or more competitors in the market, there will always be a rivalry...Ford/GM, Holley/Edelbrock...hell, even 302/460. That said, these days, everything is engineered to fail. Only so many cycles of that switch or this one to meet industry standard. Beyond that, the automanufacturers are so intermingled and even collaborate on major projects, that it's pretty difficult to draw a hard line on what's Ford/GM anymore. There are reasons I prefer Ford, but I'm also not going to be blindly brand loyal pretending each manufacturer doesn't have there own share of massive screw ups and huge victories. I say all that to tie back to, that's probably exactly why you got snubbed...some guy that's blindly brand loyal, because his dad and his dad's dad have all come from a line of bruncledaddies that worked for GM, therefore you're clearly not worth his time.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts