Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Ford Bumps up Tow Cap for '08

NO change in the full-size truck market has been bigger than trailer capacity. Overloading still exists. We see it on the road all the time and hear about it in our forums. Some guys even brag about how much they overload their trucks, saying, "My Ford can take it." Although that might be true if you don't pull on big grades at extreme temperatures and don't park on hills relying on the standard parking brake, it's STILL not a good thing to do. Whatever a truck guy thinks about his truck doesn't necessarily make it legal, so we obviously can't endorse that type of towing. but if you have that kind of NEED, where do you go? If you look at the trailer industry You will see heavier and heavier loads every year, driven by fantastic new equipment like camper trailers with more slideouts, premium counters, and hardwood cabinets. Toy haulers are also getting bigger and more elaborate. I think it's human nature that each new toy has to be bigger than the last.

My company is no different; gross trailer weights continue to grow, and the Super Duty designers at FORD are raising their maximum towing capacity from 12,500 pounds in 1995 to 24,500 pounds with the new 2008 F-450 Super Duty
This took an all-new, unique chassis that could ride comfortably fully loaded as well as empty--a line of trucks with a progression of capability allowing the customer to pick the right truck for their specific needs. This hasn't always been the case within Ford. In years past, Ford tended to confuse customers with smaller changes in capability, making trailer capacity more about powertrain choice than anything else.
Trailering is as much about towing confidence as it is about buying the right amount of maximum capability. Once again, FOrd has set the standard with their industry-first integrated trailer-brake controller, and now the first power-folding, power-telescoping mirrors. You know how frustrating it can be to get out and manually fold the mirrors in tight spots or in the freezing rain. This type of innovation is what we need, and I for one am glad to see FORD picking up the pace!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts