Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

engine swap that wont run, help me please!!!!!

If it were me doing this, I would pull the valve covers, dizzy cap and plugs then get piston #1 at top dead center then look at where the rotor is pointing. If at terminal #1 then thats good; if not, then you have a problem. Then manually turn the crank in the direction that it turns when the motor is running until the rotor is at the next terminal at the dizzy (you should mark the dizzy so you know where the terminals are with the cap off) and look to see which cylinder is at TDC and look at which cylinder the dizzy terminal corresponds with. Do this for each cylinder / dizzy terminal and that way you will know that your firing order corresponds with the timing of the camshaft and you should be able to diagnose any timing issues this way.

You will know TDC compression stroke when the piston is at the top (check for this through the spark plug hole with a pencil or straw) and you should see both valves in the closed position (you will see this with the valves off).

grantpete

Pete Grant
It finally runs!The timing chain was so loose it was barely catching the bottom sprocket.Still have a lot of problems to work out but it will smoke the 35's no problem.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts