Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

EcoBoost mileage update

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
One piece of advice-- if you can do without the 6.5 bed, do without it. I've had my truck to the dealer a handful of times and they've all been related to the damned drivetrain. Different vibrations, clunks, etc. I've still got a vibration that they can't seem to figure out-- I think it's axle wrap. Seems to only affect some of the 6.5 guys, but not the 5.5 guys. The 6.5 bed has longer springs in the rear...

I much prefer having the longer bed but if I could do it again I'd get the 5.5 just to avoid all these damned headaches chasing vibrations.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Feels like it's coming from the rear. It's a quick vibration that happens right when I take off from a stop-- goes away as soon as I get the weight of the truck moving. Lasts for less than a second.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
No luck yet. They have replaced the driveshaft, torque converter, and the rear spring blocks. Gave it back to me and said it was resolved and it vibrated the second I drove it off the lot. Unfortunately I picked it up after hours and the dealership is an hour away so I said screw it and drove it home. Haven't taken it back in a couple months-- was trying to diagnose it myself. I'm gonna try and rig up some kind of video camera under the truck and see if I can see my axle wrap-up on take off.

Last edited:

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
What appears to be the best setup for mileage is SuperCab (can't get short cab short bed), 5.5' bed, 2wd, 3.15 gears. In real world driving, with minimal stop and go, I'll bet you wouldn't have a hard time floating around 23-24 mpg average in a truck like that. But any kind of acceleration in this truck kills the mileage because of the turbos-- you can get a nice high average but once you start the stop-n-go's in starts dropping rapidly. The killer on the highway is speed-- after you pass 60 mph your mileage will drop fairly rapidly. I can average about 20 mpg at 65, but I average like 17-18 at 75.

Overall-- wouldn't trade my EB for any other motor. I truly love it.

as a reference Ben, I have a 4.6 w 3.73 Supercab and 6.5 foot bed. I have gotten 22 mpg's with mainly highway driving. I currently am averaging 19.5-19.8 mpg's doing mixed driving (little more highway than city). I would think with the EB you could hit close to 24-25 mpg's highway.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
as a reference Ben, I have a 4.6 w 3.73 Supercab and 6.5 foot bed. I have gotten 22 mpg's with mainly highway driving. I currently am averaging 19.5-19.8 mpg's doing mixed driving (little more highway than city). I would think with the EB you could hit close to 24-25 mpg's highway.
This blows my mind... I've never heard of someone getting mileage like yours in a truck like that... Have you verified it with hand calculations?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I wonder if that's the same tank as mine - 27 gallons.

Ryan

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

Thanks Scott...this really has me interested. My magic number is 25mpg's hwy, so if it could happen I'd be game. I really think I'll need to take a couple test drives. Considering Chris' numbers on the hwy, I'd be a 2wd and opt for the highest gears available...so it would be close. Not to mention, most my driving is set at 70-75mph and go for 40 miles with minimal traffic.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Why is it that you want a truck Ben? Aside from the obvious?

Plain old comfort...more physical room, more comfortable with better visibility and more comfortable with a little more sheet metal around me. The latter 2 probably just stem from driving trucks my whole life. With the comfort and luxury being integrated in to trucks these days, I may as well be like most folks that buy trucks and use it as a grocery getter. Honestly, I loved the Mustang, but thought more luxury would make me even happier, and it did, so I got the Lincoln. I do love the Lincoln, but it still doesn't feel quite right. Regardless of how foolish it sounds, I make the majority of my decisions on what feels right, you know, that gut feeling...and as I've said before the vehicle chooses you, not the other way around. Maybe it's just immaturity, maybe it's money burning a hole in my pocket, maybe I'm just crazy when it comes to my rides, could be a lot of things...I just know that something just feels like it's missing.

Mine is settling in around 17.0 combined over 3,600 miles already.
still way better than my 2008 5.4 V8

skandocious is right on with his post

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Plain old comfort...more physical room, more comfortable with better visibility and more comfortable with a little more sheet metal around me. The latter 2 probably just stem from driving trucks my whole life. With the comfort and luxury being integrated in to trucks these days, I may as well be like most folks that buy trucks and use it as a grocery getter. Honestly, I loved the Mustang, but thought more luxury would make me even happier, and it did, so I got the Lincoln. I do love the Lincoln, but it still doesn't feel quite right. Regardless of how foolish it sounds, I make the majority of my decisions on what feels right, you know, that gut feeling...and as I've said before the vehicle chooses you, not the other way around. Maybe it's just immaturity, maybe it's money burning a hole in my pocket, maybe I'm just crazy when it comes to my rides, could be a lot of things...I just know that something just feels like it's missing.

Would an SUV suit you? It would certainly suit your suit better...

I'm a truck & SUV guy myself - don't know what I'd do if my DD was a Lincoln. And considering you're and inch taller, and an easy 100 lbs bigger, a truck would surely make a nice ride. But I'm a construction supervisor, not an accountant. I'm expected to drive a truck or SUV.

My only advice it to think it through thoroughly before you make a move. How long have you had the Lincoln? Strikes me it's less than 6 months... Time flies though so I could be off.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Had the Mustang for 9 months...and the Lincoln is right at 6 months.

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
This blows my mind... I've never heard of someone getting mileage like yours in a truck like that... Have you verified it with hand calculations?

forgot to post but I did this a few weeks ago. It is a bit off. I believe the dash was saying 19.5 but by hand it was more like 18.5. Still not bad for a truck though.

Ford Truck Articles