Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

EcoBoost mileage update

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
So I've got about 3400 miles on the new truck and I think it's well broken in. At 65mph on a flat highway I can easily achieve 20.5 mpg for extended periods of highway driving and I think if I could really get on a flat highway (bay area is fairly hilly) then I could probably hit 21 mpg no problem.

With mixed driving and a fairly heavy foot (because I have to be somewhat aggressive when I drive around Silicon Valley) I usually don't have a problem holding about 17-17.5 mpg. Not bad, all things considered. Mixed driving if I'm shooting for good MPGs I can usually hit 18.5 mpg.

Keep 1 thing in mind, this is almost the least fuel efficient EcoBoost that I could have purchased... 4x4, Crew Cab, 6.5' bed, 3.73 gearing, max trailer/tow pkg. I see some guys on other forums getting into the mid 20s but they've got gas sipper trucks (ie, 2wd, 3.15/3.31 gearing, reg/super cab, 5.5' bed, etc).

All things considered, this truck does real well on mileage-- how can I complain about 20mpg when this thing is borderline sports car status. There was a dude on another forum that ran his at the track with a lift and meaty tires and he got [email protected] w/ 2.25 60'. Not bad for a big *** truck if you ask me.

Last edited:

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Those numbers aren't half bad at all considering the extra pep that EB has.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Not bad. It's gotta be fun to drive!

Ryan

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
That's pretty good...just a whisker lower than my Ranger does, but your truck is significantly bigger and quicker.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
That MPG is much better than the 5.0L in my Stupor Crew (has 2653 miles on the clock, 'puter sez: average 14.9, mostly city driving), but I have to wonder how long a 211 cid V6 will hold up in a 6,000 lb. 4WD truck.

Purchased 1/22/2011, build date 11/2010.

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
march16 2011 i believe ( according to the code on the window sticker)
There were a lot of guys getting real low mileage and then saw a nice bump when they got a PCM update. I think there is something wrong with the software on some of the earlier build trucks. You might want to check with your dealer.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
we got 3 new F150 4x4 crew cabs last couple months with same motor gears as yours. 15 MPG -18 Is the norm for them . I can squeeze 13MPG out of the 11 F350 4x4 crew I drive.

No big improvement . But its not flat here tho . How much ethanol Cally run ???

Last edited:
I was very impressed with the power of a 2011 Ecoboost that I recently test drove. If I had waited one more model year I probably would have purchased an EB. smilieFordlogo

I have gotten as high as 20 mpg at 70 mph with my 2wd 2010 XLT SuperCrew 5.5' bed gas sipper 4.6 with 3.55:1 gears. At 65 mph I can get 21.5 to 22 mpg under ideal conditions. Those fuel mileage figures were earlier in the year when it was still cool without AC.

Last edited:
I wonder what changes Ford has done to the modular engines where they are now getting these respectable mpg's? My '97 shortbed, reg. cab, 4.6, 3:55 geared, 4x4 never, ever saw 16mpg. I saw mostly 14's and 15 and some change maybe on a good day. My '99 shortbed, supercab, 5.4, 3:73 geared, 4x4 would get real close to the same.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Whatever they did in 2005 (3 valve heads) improved it some. I regularly get 17-17.5 on the highway in my truck, and 14-15 in town. Whatever they did to the moduler motors in 2009-2010... Is magic. I have no idea what they changed.

Remember in 2009 they were advertising a 15hp increase and better fuel mileage. I remember the campaign but had no idea how serious they were about fuel mileage.

Having said that, I test drove a 2011 Lariat 4x4 Crew Cab w/ the EcoBoost today. :D

Ryan

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
That motor was incredible. Hands down, incredible.

Having said that, the rest of the truck is still very similar to mine (not this particular trim package, but the f150 model in general) so I don't have a burning itch to upgrade.

Except for that motor....... Sa-weet. I just tapped the throttle and it would go grab a different gear and take off.

The electric power steering was strange but not in a bad way. Just different.

I had to get used to the blinker. That was different too - but after about 5 miles I got it figured.

Ford is seriously on track... If I didn't have student loan debt I'd consider rolling one of those off the lot.

Ryan

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Those are EcoBoosts Larry? That mileage sucks.

I think we run e10 tops.

The F150's r eco 18- 19 MPg sounds the norm with everyone around here I know has 1 . But its not flat by any means . Open highway I bet 20 easy. Ans they do really run great

Ford Truck Articles