Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Castrol Tection Extra 15w 40 CJ-4?

Been trying to find some info on it, besides what I've read on their (Castrol's) site, which is pretty impressive, btw...

Sounds like a really good oil for a 6.0 PSD to me -- anyone else have some info?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Don't know much about castrol, but as long as it meets cj-4 spec, you should be ok.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Just be sure that it acctually IS rated, unlike our favorite AMSOIL.

Hopefully Beach will spot this thread soon. He's our resident oil expert.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Been trying to find some info on it, besides what I've read on their (Castrol's) site, which is pretty impressive, btw...

Sounds like a really good oil for a 6.0 PSD to me -- anyone else have some info?

I don't have alot of information on it, i am sure you can find out more on the BITOG website.

According to API Castrol has 3-oils that are CJ-4 rated. Castrol Hypuron 15!-W-40, Castrol Tection Extra 15W-40 & Castrol Tection HD 15W-40.
I could only find product data sheets on two of the Castrol CJ-4 oils.
http://eolcs.api.org/DisplayLicenseInfo.asp?LicenseNo=0021

Hypuron 15W-40 is made from Semi-synthetic basestock (flash point 224C).
www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_inter...G/local_assets/downloads/h/HypuronCJ41850.pdf

Tection Extra 15W-40 is made from Group II Hydrocracked basestock (flash point 232C).
www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_inter...l_assets/downloads/t/TectionExtra15W40PDS.pdf

The Hypuron 15W-40 has a more robust basestock, and higher TBN, but it's flash point is 8C lower (according to the MSDS) than the Tection Extra, which does not make alot of sense, as a semi-synthetic generally has a higer flash point than a Group II.[confused]

Last edited:

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
Just be sure that it acctually IS rated, unlike our favorite AMSOIL.

Hopefully Beach will spot this thread soon. He's our resident oil expert.

Scamsoil is the only company that I've seen that lies and deceives about API certification.

Thanks -- I'm switching oils!

Here's a couple of comparisons between Delo 400 and Castrol Tection Extra off their respective product data sheets (both CJ-4):

Flash Point:
Delo= 399 deg F
TX= 450 deg F

Pour Pt:
Delo= -22 deg F
TX= -43.6 deg F

TBN:
Delo= 9.6
TX= 10

VI:
Delo= 131
TX= 136

I posted in the 6.0 forum about the deal I got on 12 gallons of the stuff -- but you need to act before tomorrow to get it at the price I paid! I think the TX is a better oil than my current Delo, based on some of the numbers...

blacksnapon

Staff member
Here's a couple of comparisons between Delo 400 and Castrol Tection Extra off their respective product data sheets (both CJ-4):

Flash Point:
Delo= 399 deg F
TX= 450 deg F

Pour Pt:
Delo= -22 deg F
TX= -43.6 deg F

TBN:
Delo= 9.6
TX= 10

VI:
Delo= 131
TX= 136

I posted in the 6.0 forum about the deal I got on 12 gallons of the stuff -- but you need to act before tomorrow to get it at the price I paid! I think the TX is a better oil than my current Delo, based on some of the numbers...
good information!

Ford Truck Articles