Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Cab Off Repairs

They were checking the brake fluid and cleaning the battery terminals.

At least that is what is under the cab of my truck. Right Vince?

blacksnapon

Staff member
They were checking the brake fluid and cleaning the battery terminals.

At least that is what is under the cab of my truck. Right Vince?
I've only dealt with two old ones, and both times there was so much rust, debris, and less than appreciative venomous creatures around the master cyl and battery box.

I've only dealt with two old ones, and both times there was so much rust, debris, and less than appreciative venomous creatures around the master cyl and battery box.

I don't have those particular problems. You won't see rust under the cab of mine. So far...I have not found any venomous critters in it either.

Although...I was warned to be cautious around Tom. They said he might bite. smilietease smiliestirthepot

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Is it just me or was that guy sitting on the bumper ALOT!!!! ROTFLMAO ok so know I know the REAL reason for pulling the cab...... A BENCH SEAT!!!

So far it looks like they are doing this to the bigger diesel trucks...correct?

I won't ever need one of them, so....

Are they doing it on the smaller F-150s or anything yet?

I am hoping to never buy anything newer than what I own now. If I do...I will ask Vince first!

In fact...I would rather go the other way, if I ever have to buy something else.

A friend of mine (die hard chevy guy) has a 55 chevy convertable for his car. His newest car (daily driver for his wife) is a 57 chevy 4 door.

He has the right idea. :wavey:

blacksnapon

Staff member
So far it looks like they are doing this to the bigger diesel trucks...correct?

I won't ever need one of them, so....

Are they doing it on the smaller F-150s or anything yet?

I am hoping to never buy anything newer than what I own now. If I do...I will ask Vince first!

In fact...I would rather go the other way, if I ever have to buy something else.

A friend of mine (die hard chevy guy) has a 55 chevy convertable for his car. His newest car (daily driver for his wife) is a 57 chevy 4 door.

He has the right idea. :wavey:
It all started with the 03 6.0 diesels. A couple of techs discovered that major engine work was much easier if the cab was out of the way. Lo and behold, its not that difficult to remove. Other guys started doing the procedure with other makes and models as well. While I question cab removal on an F150 (I can have the motor out in 2 hours without cab removal) some guys prefer to remove it. Make no mistake, cab removal isn't absolutely necessary, it just makes it much, much easier.

I wish I could link you to a pic by pic video of a frame swap on an old ford panel (late 40s or early 50s). Unfortunately, it is on the other site.

It was sort of a body lift, roll out the old frame, roll in the new, lower body. They used a small forklift for that one, if I am remembering correctly.

The front "cap" of my truck will lift off with about 15 bolts (never counted them). Takes two strong guys to do it that way. Why you would want to do that with mine...I have no clue. You can reach everything with just the hood open.

EDIT: Found it!!! It is on BobJ49F2's website:

frameswap.gif
http://www.fatfenderedtrucks.com/paneltruck/frameswap.gif

Last edited:

blacksnapon

Staff member
Good grief. How are they lifting the SUV and van bodies without warping something?

I guess I would know that if I had ever in my life used a lift. LOL
Most generally, set the lifting pads under the pinch welds. Keep the doors shut, and there wont be any problems. The difficulty comes with the amount of interior that has to be removed to get access to the body mount bolts.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Why you would want to do that with mine...I have no clue. You can reach everything with just the hood open.

[/QUOTE]On yours I wouldn't do it, I was just messin' with you. Others, I would look seriously at them.

That was meant as a rhetorical question. ;)

There is nothing under there except the battery, brake booster, master cylinder, and a vacuum reservoir.

Most of them do not even have that much down there.

Oh...I guess you could work on the transmission under there. :suspicious:

Wow, thats insane. I cant believe that that is standard repair procedure... what the hell are Ford engineers thinking?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts