Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

been buying up lately

primetime

sawmill slave
If it`s an original 87 diesel and it hasn`t been swapped, it`s a 6.9. 88 was when they went to the 7.3. Personaly, I would put a turbo on the 6.9 and call it good. They are supposed to out run stock mid 90s Powerstrokes. Of course, the Powerstroke has more mod potential.

Or you could drop a Cummins in there and dust them both.

Thanks mate, thought it be a 6.9!. Got it running, runs real good too! Has descent amount of power and plenty of torque.

I would love a cummins but I hate the way they sound!!!! If I do swap it, will defiantly be a powerstroke.

on the gearbox?

Yes sir.... I've seen shifting characteristics as you described and found the modulator vacuum line was not connected. I've seen a modulator valve go bad where the transmission wasn't shifting correctly and low on oil.....with no sign of leakage. It had gone bad internally and the oil was being sucked out through the vacuum line.

been gettin the truck ready for registration. leaking heaps of diesel, just replaced the filter, filter housing and water in diesel sensor. Still leaking diesel and found it to be around 4 of the injectors. ordered a full new set. put a new vacuum module on, about to test drive. fingers crossed

does that one have a drain in the torque converter andy ?

So took truck for a descent drive today (around an hour each way) pulled up at a gate on a mates farm and truck Wouldn move, trans slipped real bad! Had to really hang some revs to get it to move. Pulled up turned it off and trans fluid spewing out the dip stick!! No phone reception, so did a bit of pacing around (looked at another truck I'm buying, but that's another story) thought I would give it another try when it cooled down some and it was fine!! Still not changing properly but no slip. Can't work it out? Think I might get it rebuilt anyway

Ford Truck Articles