Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Are you freaking kidding me.....#@(*&#!(*!@

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Chris, what's the acronym MLPS stand for? something something position sensor?

Ryan

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
MLPS is the manual lever position sensor. It's on the driver's side of the trans, where your gear shift cable/linkage hooks up They go bad from water/ mud contamination. Us old guys used to call them neutral safety switches. A new one with the wire plug kit is $99 from Ford. I can get you a part number if you need it.

You can look at the one on there, and see if it needs an adjustment. post a picture, and I will see if that's a problem

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Wow. sorry on the slow reply. usually unless you get a overheat code, fluid, filter, and the MLPS change would fix you up. More than 3 trans codes usually means the wiring harness on the passenger side has come loose. A good rebuild will be around $2,000 with all the upgrades. Make sure to use mercon IV trans fluid from now on.

boysmomoflabs

completely ignorant~
Charlie
So you too are saying it's shot?

They haven't taken it apart yet, said they can't give me any estimate until they do.

Chris, with the fluid having a burnt smell and gritty...is it more than the MLSPMRPYADATHINGY??

I called another trans shop tonight, he's saying worst case scenario $1800. and to call him before I authorize any work done. I'll post here too if anyone is interested.

Between my father going into the hospital tonight, company I work for is getting Excise tax audited, my knee being blown out on Friday, no water pressure in house....anyone interested in buying tickets if I decide to blow the truck up????

Fellro

Staff member
They should be able to give you an idea of what a rebuild would cost, unless they are looking at it being something less than a rebuild. Burnt fluid is either clutch slippage or the converter going bad. I would be a bit concerned about not having a quote until they tear into it, which will largely commit you to getting them to do the work, as it will be inoperative once they open it up. They have to take the trans completely out of the truck to "tear into it".

boysmomoflabs

completely ignorant~
I did ask that question, of both trans shops.
If they tear into it, give me a quote that's more than $2k, I'm having it towed out of there.

Will not get screwed over again.

even with the quote, they are going to have to write down specifically what they find. Will post it here and call 2nd trans shop.

When I was in this am, I think they weren't thinking "worst case" yet. We'll see.

Charlie
So you too are saying it's shot?

They haven't taken it apart yet, said they can't give me any estimate until they do.

Chris, with the fluid having a burnt smell and gritty...is it more than the MLSPMRPYADATHINGY??

I called another trans shop tonight, he's saying worst case scenario $1800. and to call him before I authorize any work done. I'll post here too if anyone is interested.

Between my father going into the hospital tonight, company I work for is getting Excise tax audited, my knee being blown out on Friday, no water pressure in house....anyone interested in buying tickets if I decide to blow the truck up????

I'll buy a ticket for you NOT to blow up the truck. You have a lot on your plate, just take a deep breath and have a glass of wine. :wavey:

boysmomoflabs

completely ignorant~
yeah..you're right Roy.

I sat here and tried to figure out what about the shop was bothering me. The fact that it IS, is something I need to listen to.

So, I'm going up to the shop tomorrow am, taking the truck out before they tear it apart. I've just got a bad feeling and I can't shake it.

Will be taking it to the second shop which has outstanding reviews.

Keep you guys posted, as usual smilietease

Long *** day...

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Charlie
So you too are saying it's shot?No, not at all, I thought you gave in, and committed to a repair

Did they give you the codes to prove the point? There is no need to take something apart to get a price. Trans kit is $$$, Labor is $$$, up grades are $$$ It costs between $1500 and $3000 to rebuild an E4OD
Chris, with the fluid having a burnt smell and gritty...is it more than the MLSPMRPYADATHINGY??They all need service now and then. Do you rebuild your motor because the oil is black when you change it?

I called another trans shop tonight, he's saying worst case scenario $1800. and to call him before I authorize any work done. I'll post here too if anyone is interested. I think you will be happy with these people

Don't blow it up. In the end you will have a great, dependable truck with no car payment

I'll buy a ticket for you NOT to blow up the truck. You have a lot on your plate, just take a deep breath and have a glass of wine. :wavey:

X2 to that Roy ....... maybe a double shot of smirnoff as well seeing as poor Evangeline has had so much frustration with the truck

boysmomoflabs

completely ignorant~
Hey guys...thanks for listening, just alot going on right now.

So, I followed my gut, picked up the truck this am, they repeatedly stated they hadn't done any work on it. So I drove it on the freeway (55+), down into the valley with lots of stoplights etc.

Did not lurch once! Not one single time. Drove pretty nice in fact. I could hear a whine at the 50mph but other than that....nada.

So, does this mean they fixed it and were going to charge me $2K????

Dropped it off at the new place, talked with the guy. He's unwilling to guess as to why it stopped lurching but is definitely curious.

Do you think they messed with the T(oilet) P(aper) S(ensor)?

boysmomoflabs

completely ignorant~
Just saw your post Charlie

I verbally told them to "just fix it" when I left it yesterday am. I then called after a couple of hours and stated I wanted a quote first. (I'm my own worst enemy). Called again at 5pm and asked for info/pricing. They said they hadn't started on it yet.

I did not see the source of the tranny fluid they showed me, now I'm wondering.
They did not give me the codes, just the verbiage I posted. I wrote it down as they said it. Now I'm wondering about that too as it doesn't match anything I've searched for.

Already I feel more confident in the shop I took it to. If they live up to the reviews will be nice to have a good place to take vehicles too. (btw, the shop that replaced the motor originally, owner has given it up and the young mechanic has left so no loyalty there).

Last edited:

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Probably they cleared the codes, by unhooking the battery. It takes 60 key cycles to relearn after that. I hope the codes don't come back, and you are cured, we shall see.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Usually bad codes from e40d are overheated, vss bad signal, MLPS, or Torque converter not locking. There are others, but usually those show first

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Computer was in limp mode because of a bad code for the trans. No code, no limp mode.

boysmomoflabs

completely ignorant~
ahhhh....

so no codes will show for the new shop. Hmmm....what should I expect now? Just good old fashioned experience? They did have quite a few Ford trucks around.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
If they are aware of the problem, and the fact it was at another shop, they have an Idea of what's going on. A lengthy road test could bring the codes back, IDK. I would go for a flush and filter change at this point if the codes don't return. That way, you can get the mercon IV transmission fluid in there, which is one of the upgrades. That's going to run you around $125. It may be that that will solve the problem. It may also be that it will only prolong it.

Ford Truck Articles