Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Anyone else drive an explorer?

Might as well start another thread. Here is my current daily driver. 2001 explorer 4X4, 4.0 SOHC, 4.10 trac-lock w/control trac.

me2.jpg

More pics can be found here:

http://home.centurytel.net/brian_b/index.htm

I personally don't drive an Explorer, just wanted to comment on how nice and clean you have everything looking under the hood :)

Hey, Brian, a buddy of mine is having a couple problems with his '01, and I thought I'd see if you had come across the same thing.
Many times, he goes to start his in the morning and it just cranks on the first try, no start. cranks again, it starts and engine revs high for several secs then returns to normal.

secondly, he is having a squeaking noise as he rolls forward slowly. replaced bushings, brakes, bearings, CV seems tight; a real head scratcher.

Hey, Brian, a buddy of mine is having a couple problems with his '01, and I thought I'd see if you had come across the same thing.
Many times, he goes to start his in the morning and it just cranks on the first try, no start. cranks again, it starts and engine revs high for several secs then returns to normal.

Umm...I have never had a minutes trouble with mine. I changed the thermostat once though. :) Sounds electrical to me. Is this just during cold weather? Has he checked the coil packs? Which engine does he have in it?

secondly, he is having a squeaking noise as he rolls forward slowly. replaced bushings, brakes, bearings, CV seems tight; a real head scratcher.

Ohhh....that could be about anything. Has he sat it in jack stands (safely) and turned, shook, moved everything up front? Is it a 4X4 of just rear wheel drive?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO

Sounds like a U joint if you ask me. I had one that was squeaky at low speeds, the pitch got higher as I sped, up, and I couldn't hear it past about 45mph. I figure it'd be less worn out that I had depending on how long he can hear the squeak.

Ryan

Thanks, guys. Yeah, it's a 4x4, and he has had it up on stands checking it all out. Ryan may have something with that u-joint idea, tho...

I couldn't pull any codes off of it but I am really suspecting the TPS. just seems to me all things point that way.

Here's a question, my mom has a '00 X, AWD, 302, AT, anyway, is the blinking theft light just a bluff?

Yes and no....It really has a motion sensor hooked to the horn. However, you have to really get violent to set it off. Youy have to shake the vehicle or slam the door pretty hard.

My remote panic button works well though!!!! :redface: It was pouring rain at work one night, I hopped in the back seat the trade books (took the wrong one into class). I dropped the remote and stepped on it setting off the panic alarm. The problem was I couldn't find the remote. It was under the edge of some other books. There I was locked in the back seat (child safety thing), alarm going off, and everyone looking at me. People came out of the building to see what was going on. :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface:

Ford Truck Articles