Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Any info on adding a trans temp gauge???

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Cool thanks man.

Those pillar mount ones can be shaped somewhat with a heat gun (hair dryer works-just slow), if they do not quite fit.

Since those do not exist for the old trucks...I am using the pods.

I did not want to drill holes in the top of my dash. Dad made me some brackets to screw in under the dash for mine.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h163/Brian_B_1956/misc/DSCF0625.jpg

A friend of mine (also a 56) used smaller gauges and put them in the dash:

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h163/Brian_B_1956/misc/chrisgauge.jpg

I know the in dash would not work for a modern truck, but mounting a pod from underneath would.

Michigan
Heres my pod. I to would DEFINATLY NOT drill into my dashboard. An A pillar plastic piece is alot cheaper to fix/replace than a upper dash panel. Heck i just bought a new clean piece at the local pick your own parts for 2 bucks.

I see temps in the summer time (80-90 degrees F) at about 150 after a 15-30 minute drive. Winter time it barley gets above 100 degrees. The cups to me look chincy and half assed (no offense chris) JMO

Picture153.jpg

Michigan
Truly im not a fan of my pod. Im going to upgrade here in a couple weeks of a dual pod that on the front side you cant see the pins because its hid behind the weatherstripping, just like the ones on my pops truck.

Picture093.jpg

Michigan
You can buy quads to. For gas trucks dual pods seam just fine, i think if i went tripple i would get laughed at by the diesel guys, asking me if i need to keep an eye on my EGTs in a ford bronco...

And as for dual pods on a diesel... Your just not using your head. You need to keep an eye on 3 major things, exhaust, turbo, and trans. Dual your leaving out something important to what you should be keeping an close eye on.

Jerome Casi

Missouri Chapter member
So lets say I am pulling my trailer over a pass out here in the west, and my tranny starts getting in the "Im not comfortable with you at this temperature" mode. What exactly causes the tranny to get warm, I figured that the tranny locks in on the gear and its your engine that would work harder? Do I need to take it down a gear and slow it down to run cooler?

Thanks again

Friction causes heat. There are clutch packs in there as well as a lot of metal spinning. It all has friction.

I have never had a trans temp gauge on anything, but I always just pulled over somewhere and let everything cool off when it got hot.

Also..it should be noted here that I have never driven out west in any of the passes. I am not familiar with them enough to know if you can even pull over and park somewhere for a while.

Michigan
More strain on the gears inside and the clutch plates, heats up the fluid. If your in a area where its warm all the time i would throw a bigger cooler on, maby a fan to. Deeper trans pans with cooling fins or tubes. If i ever got my temps that high i would find a place to stop and let it cool down a bit. Some people are more anal about it than others. Some people pull ungodly loads for long periods of time without a trans temp guage and do just fine.

Michigan
Yea he does but again thats for a E4OD. Im sure someone out there makes a deep pan for a C6. Also dont forget about your rear diff.. Unbelievable how hot those things get after pulling a heavy load. Pulled a 28' enclosed trailer full of snowmobile carbides and studs for about an hour and a half. Curious to see how hot it would be i crawled under there and i could barley hold my hand on the cover.

Jerome Casi

Missouri Chapter member
Jerome,

With a 1988 you should have a C6 automatic transmission. Look on the left side just in front of where the linkage enters the transmission and see if there is an test port plug. If there is you can just screw the sender into this port. Senders are available with different diameters to match your port. Any good quality gauge will work ie Autometer, Isspro, DiPricol. Since you are leaving in a few days go to your local autoparts and get what they have in stock as you wont have time to order one.

I have included a few pictures of a C6 with test ports, there is one the wrench is on and one in front of the wrench as well.

You wouldnt happen to remember which adapter size you had to use would you? i went out gauge shopping and browsing, and different manufactures have different adapter sizes, some have 1/4, some have 1/8, some are missing the 1/2" while others are not. Just curious if you happen to remember for the C6, would make my shopping slightly easier.

Thanks again gents

So does shifting and running slower cool the trans, or make it run cooler then?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts