Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Any info on adding a trans temp gauge???

Jerome Casi

Missouri Chapter member
just getting ready for the move and figure a transmission temperature gauge might be a good idea since I am pulling so much weight for 5 days. Is there any kits or links you guys can link me to? Is it an easy install, I would assume there might be a plug somewhere I can remover or something???

Thanks for anyhelp,
1988 f250, with the gas guzzling 460

Jerome

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Chris (Scandociuos) put one on his truck. He should be around soon, maybe with some helpfull info.

A lot of people buy the guuge and sending unit from autometer. They make good products. I have a set of their gauges in my truck (not the transmission one).

As far as where to put the sending unit...most of the ones I have seen installed were into an aftermarket transmission pan. The aftermarket ones have a place for the sender to screw into.

I would imagine there is another place to put it, but I really don't know.

I will leave that to somone else who has more experience than I do.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Its pretty easy.
you just have to drill and tap a small hole from the temp sensor and then just run your wiring there's nothing to hard about it i'm sure of.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Yeah I installed an Auto Meter trans temp gauge in my truck; this one:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=ATM-2640&N=700+0&autoview=sku

For mounting I used a single pod that mounts to the dash:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=ATM-2204&N=700+0&autoview=sku

A lot of guys like to use the 2 or 3 pod trim pieces that fit over the A-piller, but I only wanted 1 gauge and I like the look of the single gauge cup that I used.

End result of my install:
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u269/Skandociouss/Truck Crap/Trans Temp Gauge/DSC00880.jpg
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u269/Skandociouss/Truck Crap/Trans Temp Gauge/DSC00878.jpg

Mine also glows a truer green because I used the Auto Meter LED bulb instead of the incandescent + green cap that is included with the gauge. Here's the replacement LED bulb that I used, they come in other colors too:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=ATM-3285&N=700+0&autoview=sku

My gauge came with the temp sending unit (I think nearly all Auto Meter gauges come with sending units). On my transmission (E4OD), I had an inspection plug on the driver-side of the transmission, that's where I put my sending unit. A lot of people claimed that it wouldn't give accurate readings, and that I should use a fluid manifold on one of my cooler lines (a block that goes inline on the cooler line, with a 3rd hole for the sender) in order to get a more accurate reading. I bought the manifold and never used it because I was getting good readings from the inspection hole on the driver side of my transmission. Sold the trans manifold on craigslist. The sending unit was threaded for the exact size of the inspection plug on my transmission-- so I just had to screw it in and connect the 1 wire that goes up to the gauge:
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u269/Skandociouss/Truck Crap/Trans Temp Gauge/DSC01318Custom.jpg
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u269/Skandociouss/Truck Crap/Trans Temp Gauge/DSC01320Custom.jpg

If you don't have the inspection hole or you just don't trust the readings it gives, then you can use the manifold method. This is the part you'd need:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=ATM-2287&N=700+0&autoview=sku

Other than the 1 wire for the sending unit-- there are two other wires for the gauge, and they're for the lightbulb. I wired the hot-wire to fuse in my fusebox that sends power to my gauge cluster so that it lights up when I turn on my gauges, and it also dims with the gauges too! The other just goes to ground.

I'm very satisfied with the gauge install. Auto Meter is highly recommended if you don't mind spending a few extra bucks ;)

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
just getting ready for the move and figure a transmission temperature gauge might be a good idea since I am pulling so much weight for 5 days. Is there any kits or links you guys can link me to? Is it an easy install, I would assume there might be a plug somewhere I can remover or something???

Thanks for anyhelp,
1988 f250, with the gas guzzling 460

Jerome

Jerome,

With a 1988 you should have a C6 automatic transmission. Look on the left side just in front of where the linkage enters the transmission and see if there is an test port plug. If there is you can just screw the sender into this port. Senders are available with different diameters to match your port. Any good quality gauge will work ie Autometer, Isspro, DiPricol. Since you are leaving in a few days go to your local autoparts and get what they have in stock as you wont have time to order one.

I have included a few pictures of a C6 with test ports, there is one the wrench is on and one in front of the wrench as well.

Attachments

• C6 Left Side Inspection plug 3.jpg
  • C6 Left Side Inspection Plug 2.jpg

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Did anyone read my long winded post? I made mention of that exact same test port for being used for the temp sender... I included pictures of it on my e4od. It's nearly exactly the same.

Jerome Casi

Missouri Chapter member
Great Info guys, I am going to be doing mass work on this thing next weekend, new U joints for the rear, trans thermostat, C6 trans I am new to ford will have to look it up to gain some info on it. I am slightly worried about the haul over the passes hence why I am doing all this work to it! What temp should I expect to run or keep it in?

Thanks again, great info and the pics are big time helpful for this new ford owner

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Cool I need to pick me up one :D
Thanks Blackhat.

If you have time to order one you may be able to get a better deal. Diesel manor has some good gauge packages and carries all the top brands. I am partial to Isspro but you cannot go wrong with any of the major brands.

www.dieselmanor.com/gauges.asp

To answer your previous question, you can tap the pan if you are careful and choose a location that is always submerged and that the sendet does not hit an internal part.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Normal operating temps at cruising speeds could be anywhere in the range of 140-180*, depending on ambient temperature. Pulling weight it'll probably run a little hotter. You should start to get worried when you reach temps in excess of 200* F.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Did anyone read my long winded post? I made mention of that exact same test port for being used for the temp sender... I included pictures of it on my e4od. It's nearly exactly the same.

Yep i read it, and you showed the E4OD and what you said is correct. However the E4OD was not available until 1989 and so i included a picture of the C6 to help the OP see what he was looking for on his transmission and IIRC not all years and models of the C6 have a test port, as the transmission was made for several models over 30 years.

You posted good info Chris i was just trying to get a more accurate picture for the OP to reduce any confusion.

Also try to keep the trans temp below 220F, this should not be a problem but if you exceed this temp the trans life is shortened rapidly.

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Yep i read it, and you showed the E4OD and what you said is correct. However the E4OD was not available until 1989 and so i included a picture of the C6 to help the OP see what he was looking for on his transmission and IIRC not all years and models of the C6 have a test port, as the transmission was made for several models over 30 years.

You posted good info Chris i was just trying to get a more accurate picture for the OP to reduce any confusion.

Also try to keep the trans temp below 220F, this should not be a problem but if you exceed this temp the trans life is shortened rapidly.
Fair enough. Just hate feeling invisible :p

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Fair enough. Just hate feeling invisible :p

Did not mean to reduce the value of your post, just trying to expand on it a little and since it was late i was trying to avoid typing alot. That didn't work out to well did it. LOL.

I also repped you for the post, as you had alot of detail and good information there.

As far as trans temps, if you can run at 175F ATF & trans seals etc are good for approximately 100K miles for every 20-25F increase trans life drops by half. So at 195-200F good for about 50k, 220-225F for about 25k, 240-250F good for 5-10k miles. Also heat cycling of the transmission is cumulative.

Last edited:

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
If you have time to order one you may be able to get a better deal. Diesel manor has some good gauge packages and carries all the top brands. I am partial to Isspro but you cannot go wrong with any of the major brands.

www.dieselmanor.com/gauges.asp

To answer your previous question, you can tap the pan if you are careful and choose a location that is always submerged and that the sendet does not hit an internal part.

Do you know of any one that makes a pillar mount for these gauges??

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts