Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

another cold air, Intake thread.. something i did! (improvement)

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
Like I said, MAF compensates for modifications (by adjusting the fuel ratios) I just didn't go in depth.

SD = Batch fire
MAF = Individual

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
SD = Batch fire
MAF = Individual
As far as I know, this is NOT true. You can have an SD sequential fire injection truck, I'm almost sure of it.

I believe ALL of these trucks got switched over to SFI sometime around 94 or 95.... What you might be confused about is the fact that all MAF trucks are SFI (I believe), but not all SD trucks are batch.

Last edited:

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
Looks like we need someone else to chime in. smilietease

I'll entertain the thought that you might be right, but I'm positive that my '90 couldn't be anything but batch from the factory.

Edit; yea, you got me pondering it after your response.. we'll just have to see. I could be wrong. :suspicious:

Last edited:
Oh cmon, you haven't seen the pics? When I bought my truck it had the K&N Fuel Injection Performance Kit, with an open element cloth filter:
. . . . . . . .

. . . :hehehm:. . .welll, EXCUSE me ; IF i didn't want to / feel like going through all of your album's to find these_such pic's.........i was searchin only to find your stuff from the " other " site has been deleted / er, transport'd to ??? where-ever......LOLOLOL ! ! ! ....smilietease....{ it's cool, man; :p just givin ya hard time back......}

. . . . thx for taking the time & effort to posting the pic's. . . . .YelloThumbUp

mr. Charles

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I'm positive that my '90 couldn't be anything but batch from the factory.
You're correct about that, SFI wasn't offered until somethin like 94 or 95... Er maybe 93, might have come with the new body style. I know you're truck ain't gonna have the option though.

Some SD rigs were SFI, but no trucks that I am aware of. Everything that was MAS was SFI - even the trucks.

SD needs a tuner to adjust to things outside of it's very limited parameters, MAS is self adjusting. SD has more potential, it's just not as user friendly andit takes alot of know how and equipment.

.........ooooO-K for your idea & modding-project, BUT after all this, did it make any Positive of an improvement as far as performance / mpg and all ??? . .[confused] . . . . . half to commend you for thinking & doing this "mod" for to fit in your situation & all YelloThumbUp ....i could imagine it was NOT an easy task for you to conjer-up....(aka, to just pick-a-part & bolt rite up) .......just trying /reasearching about's WHAT would be a good "mod" to do for this existing "stock" air cleaner setup for here as for seeing better performance & mpg ......:suspicious:

...{ i kno...... i kno; my BIGGest problem is these dang Tires & all.....:redface: ...just give a "bit-O-slack", eh? ! ? ! ? ...... LOLOL }

mr. Charles

The van isn't even running yet. When it is running, I will have no way to do a before and after thing because it wont be able to run on the stock system.

If I were you, I would keep the stock system (assuming you are able to use it, unlike me), get the 300/460 plumbing and insulate it all just like the project MPG truck. Use a stock paper filter or AEM.

Here is a link that may interest you, there is a picture of the insulated tubes and data showing temp results of various intake systems.

http://performanceunlimited.com/projectmpg/airtemp.html

. . . . thx eco, for that link......YelloThumbUp ........hmmmmmm??? ! ! ! ! ........... interesting :idea: .......

mr. Charles

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
yeah im going to make a single '3 giong into 1 K&N with an closed box drawing air from the outside like MR. M do you remember his setup Skan?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
yeah im going to make a single '3 giong into 1 K&N with an closed box drawing air from the outside like MR. M do you remember his setup Skan?
Course... Although I'm not sure his setup was really worth while... As discussed on here before, if you're running a near stock motor with nearly stock engine CFM draw, a paper filter will flow just fine. If you really want you could use a drop in K&N filter but there's really no reason to spend the money/time on that larger filter if you don't need to flow more air...

As for having cold air, the factory setup is cold air! Lol, doesn't make much sense to construct your own.

Just my .02

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
lol i know that... but my factory setup is BROKEN lol.. the snorkel is like a paper that when to the shredder... becuase one time the belt broke and shredded it..

Course... Although I'm not sure his setup was really worth while... As discussed on here before, if you're running a near stock motor with nearly stock engine CFM draw, a paper filter will flow just fine. If you really want you could use a drop in K&N filter but there's really no reason to spend the money/time on that larger filter if you don't need to flow more air...

As for having cold air, the factory setup is cold air! Lol, doesn't make much sense to construct your own.

Just my .02

If he is doing like Mr. M (why isn't he here yet btw) he can't use the stock paper or a drop in. Mr. M has basically the same thing I have - the throttle body y'd to a single 3 then to the MAS housing then a cone filter with a custom enclsure. So, no factory box there, so might as well fab something up.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
I haven't seen Mike over on the other site in about 2 months..I'm wonderin if he's alright...I know he's building another engine for his truck.....Ryan why don't you do a one tube setup and fab it like mine the plumber's special heh heh...dammit...I need make my gallery on here......errrrrrrr

JR

msb71

Virginia Chapter Leader
Hampton,VA
Move the washer fluid and overflow canisters to the rear of the cold air setup and use the snorkel for a 460/ 300 to the box ,cut it to fit, seal it up and you should get more air to it, still looks good in my opinion.
Jurgen this is basically what Mr, M has , I remember his pics from the other side, he was my inspiration, lol.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
lol yeah... im buildin a cooler air box just for fun.. and make myself proud i dont care if it doesnt work wuahah but i will do my best for it to get the colder air posibel

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
If he is doing like Mr. M (why isn't he here yet btw) he can't use the stock paper or a drop in. Mr. M has basically the same thing I have
I know that. I'm saying I think it would be best to scrap the whole custom box idea and just find a stock setup at the junkyard, then use a paper filter (or drop-in K&N if he wants).

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts