Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

94 e40d

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
my new to u truck is a 94 f150, 5.0, auto, 4x4, shift on the fly. I bought the truck at a fair price, but put an awful lot of money into it, hence, my problem. it shifts really good 123, and 321, smooth, not jerky. when it goes to drop into 4th, it acts just like it went into n, and you have to hit the off button on the shifter to make it go back into gear. I tried to pull the codes, not haveing a code reader, used the short to ground method, and counted the flashes. the numbers I got are not in any books I have found, so on another site, someone sugested for me to replace the manual position sensor, since there is a tsb on this, I did it. road test, and the truck went into 4th, smooth, and pulled like a normal truck. turned around to go back home, and back to the n after 3rd deal, and has not gone into 4th since. now I am told that the od circuit is shot, and I need to take it to a trans shop, and spend up too 3 grand.please save this truck from the crusher, and tell me that it's electrical, and I can fix it instead of replaceing the trans. thank you for takeing the time with me..... Charlie

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
OD is prob shot, typical issue on this trans. Just drive it outta OD. I got a rebuilt used 1 for 200 bucks, 3G is what I rebuild will cost. If you look around on the internet you can get a reman trans for like 1700.

You might want to look into having a trans shop check it out for you, before you jump the gun and scrap the truck.

How does the trans fluid look? Rosey red, or brown?

JohnnyBuck

North Carolina Chapter member
Had a friend with the same exact problem with his '95,and he drove the truck everyday and pulled a boat on weekends without OD and never had any problems....Would be driving it now if the barley and hopps had not caught up with him....

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
OD is prob shot, typical issue on this trans. Just drive it outta OD. I got a rebuilt used 1 for 200 bucks, 3G is what I rebuild will cost. If you look around on the internet you can get a reman trans for like 1700.

You might want to look into having a trans shop check it out for you, before you jump the gun and scrap the truck.

How does the trans fluid look? Rosey red, or brown?
trans fluid is pink, and not stinky

Had a friend with the same exact problem with his '95,and he drove the truck everyday and pulled a boat on weekends without OD and never had any problems....Would be driving it now if the barley and hopps had not caught up with him....
I agree, but most of my driveing is highway, she's a little thirsty.shame the beer dented up his truck:headbang:

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Id def have a trans shop take a look at it, especally a shop you trust that wont sell you a trans lol.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
I had '93 F150. I doubt I drove it 5% without the "OD off" button pushed. The 5.0's not that powerful, so it downshifts over anthills (which is probably what killed the OD in the first place). I'd just keep it locked out and call it a day.

*I got 232,000 miles out of that truck, on the original transmission. I think that's why (keeping it locked out of overdrive most of the time).

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
I had '93 F150. I doubt I drove it 5% without the "OD off" button pushed. The 5.0's not that powerful, so it downshifts over anthills (which is probably what killed the OD in the first place). I'd just keep it locked out and call it a day.

*I got 232,000 miles out of that truck, on the original transmission. I think that's why (keeping it locked out of overdrive most of the time).

Did the same with our '96 Xplorer on my way home from Cali last March ('09). Lost OD just before the top of Donner Pass. Drove it all the way home w/o OD just drove slower; AND, I pulled better MPG on average...

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I would keep it out of OD if it is fine in the other gears like everyone suggests. Keep your truck and save $$$$.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
I forgot to mention, while I was sitting on the top of the Pass I was in the midst of a phone call with another member of this forum who made note that vehicles got along just fine for MANY years without the use of overdrive...

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
UPDATE. I had a friend come over, and hook up a scanner, and got a trans code, 668, this is for high voltage at the trans, so we started checking volts other places, and keep in mind, I already replaced the alternater, and battery. we were picking up 16-17 volts. a automotive shop teacher friend of mine told me the computer is bad, and it thinks the battery is dead causeing it to overcharge the battery, and everything else. he said that the high voltage is also causeing the trans to act up. I have a computer comeing this weekend from a truck that is just like this one, and will let you know how things turn out. thanks for all your help. Charlie

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I finally changed the computer to the used one this weekend. it now has the chargeing voltage in the correct range, but the trans only now has 1st and reverse. I called my buddy, and ask him what was wrong with the truck when he took it off the road, and he said it needed a trans. I'm going to order a new computer today, I'll keep you posted on the results

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
If do need trans. Check out a Ford rebuild . I can get them cheaper and with better warranty than all my local trans shops . Even if have some one put in I make out.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
update, found that the trans is not an e4od, but is a 4r70w. I installed a baumann shift kit, some new solinoids, and a new od piston, and we're as good as new. thanks for all the help

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts