Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

460 swap

primetime

sawmill slave
Thanks Roy. The trans bums me out (angers me actually, but I digress), but it`s nice to have it at least driveable. Winter is coming and firewood needs gathered, the driveway needs a bunch of gravel, and there is a tractor that needs hauled over and a loader put on it, so I`m going to put it to use while I bank up some cabbage and decide what direction to go with the trans. I`m thinking I really want some overdrive.

Just get it together and I want to change it. Go figure, huh?

primetime

sawmill slave
Thought I`d give a little update on this. The 460 burns about a quart of oil per 1000 miles, but that`s no big thing. It runs good and has been all it`s supposed to be. Even with 8600 lbs of trailer behind it. Loving it.

Some things I`m not loving, my junk yard electric fan set up may not be ideal. At least not the way I have it set up, which is one of the fans is turned on by the controller and the other one was hooked up to the A/C and a switch in the cab. Well, pulling a load or carrying the plow the auxillary fan has to be on all the time. I still have not decided what exactly I`m going to do.

Rust-Oleium Rust reformer. I`m not even going to waste my time with this stuff any more. I followed the directions to the letter, put on two coats and top coated, and everything I`ve used it on is rusting through.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
That sucks about the reformer...

Have you thought of wiring the second fan to a toggle?

Fellro

Staff member
one of the fans is turned on by the controller and the other one was hooked up to the A/C and a switch in the cab.

Yep, he has... ;)

Theoretically, going down the road you should not need a fan at all. The plow likely is blocking some of the normal airflow, and at slower speeds it isn't that unusual for the fan to stay on. Otherwise you will need to check that the radiator is fully functional, as in not partially plugged.

primetime

sawmill slave
With out the blade, and no load, the primary fan doesn`t come on very often. It doesn`t come on at all during the five mile trip to or from work. When it had the 351 in it, I could carry the plow and only needed the primary. With the 460 I need the aux fan. I just wait for it to come up to temp, turn it on, and let the primary turn on and off as it pleases.

I`m thinking about changing things around so that both fans come on automatically, and can be turned on and left on if need be. It isn`t really a problem, and I haven`t over heated it, but it just isn`t as transparent as I`d hoped it would be. Of course, it is a twin electric fan set up built out of the junk yard with a total of about $120 into it. It just needs some fine tuning.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts